Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I figure I'll start one of these since we actually have some progress to report. If you haven't seen any of our earlier threads, we started with a stock '78 Yamaha XS400. So far, we've stripped it to the frame, got some rear sets welded on, and started our fiberglass seat.
Many thanks to all who answered questions about fiberglassing, and I think we may have actually come off to a fairly decent start for our first attempt. Like anything though, hindsight is 20/20, and if I could (well...we could, but I just don't want to start over) I'd do it backwards.
First, we made a fiberglass mold of the seat pan area of the frame, with the thought that this would serve as our foundation, and be custom form fit to our bike. Then, we made a mold of the 'rear hump' that I carved out of foam. Now, theoretically, our intention was to then combine the foundation and hump into one continuous seat pan in the coming layers of fiberglass..... like I said, in hindsight, I think, if we had formed our hump, and then incorporated that into the seat pan process....that would have served our purposes better, and made for a smoother transition I think. but, I'm confident we can manage. So, here are some pics of the progress so far. I haven't taken any pics of the rear-sets yet...but will soon for ya'll

·
Registered
118 Posts
ahh i can't wait to see the rearsets, seat looks good so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright. with some of life's distractions and a couple months later, here is a more finished version of the seat. still working on sanding and smoothing it down. for our first time ever doing any fiberglassing, I'm impressed. As one of you guys advised me when seeking information, aim for "pretty good, not perfect." And I think we did pretty good. so, just gonna do some sanding and a little bondo here and there to smooth it out. and hopefully it doesn't look too awful once painted....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts