Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cafe racers are fun to build, don't get me wrong. But i personally think that i'm going to have more fun building this. Mostly cause these are the only parts i have.

i know a few of you guys have built a chop, so i'm sure you can appreciate how excited i am about doing this. I think i'm about to get my feet wet!

i didn't weld the hardtail, i don't trust my welder or skills that much. I did however make those 5 minute handle bars.

Shaun

·
Registered
123 Posts
oh! oh! i see a sporty tank! and...and..a high back vinyl single saddle (west eagle has cool metal flake seats!). and your wheels look pretty rock-star. i'd just pull 'em and get them powder coated solid black. don't forget the hexagonal oil bag either. sorry, i shouldn't get excited about someone else's chopper like that when i still have to finish my own. looks like a kick ass project.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by MarkB

oh! oh! i see a sporty tank! and...and..a high back vinyl single saddle (west eagle has cool metal flake seats!). and your wheels look pretty rock-star. i'd just pull 'em and get them powder coated solid black. don't forget the hexagonal oil bag either. sorry, i shouldn't get excited about someone else's chopper like that when i still have to finish my own. looks like a kick ass project.
good call on the sporty tank. it does look cool though, even if everyone else has one too.

my foot clutch idea came to me today. left peddle has a bike chain end bolted to it. then the chain goes up to the top frame rail over a sprocket that rides on a bearing and is bolted to the frame and then down to the clutch on the motor. i can see it in my head and it kicks ass

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by MarkB

good call on the sporty tank. it does look cool though, even if everyone else has one too.

my foot clutch idea came to me today. left peddle has a bike chain end bolted to it. then the chain goes up to the top frame rail over a sprocket that rides on a bearing and is bolted to the frame and then down to the clutch on the motor. i can see it in my head and it kicks ass

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
forget the sport tank - go old school and use one of the new amen ridge top replicas. Real 70's kitsch and much better than a belly button sporty tank. JP cycles and Cycel Ex both have them in stock.

Here's an idea that I saw on Paul Cox's chop a few years back. Why not set a throttle setup on the left handlebar as a twist grip? No lever on the bars and conventional foot shift. Cox uses his for the brake but I still think it is a neat idea. you could run it internal or if you want to do it on the cheap just get matching tomaselli throttles - one for the throttle and one for the clutch.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
forget the sport tank - go old school and use one of the new amen ridge top replicas. Real 70's kitsch and much better than a belly button sporty tank. JP cycles and Cycel Ex both have them in stock.

Here's an idea that I saw on Paul Cox's chop a few years back. Why not set a throttle setup on the left handlebar as a twist grip? No lever on the bars and conventional foot shift. Cox uses his for the brake but I still think it is a neat idea. you could run it internal or if you want to do it on the cheap just get matching tomaselli throttles - one for the throttle and one for the clutch.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm cool with it as long as it doesn't turn you into a cooler than thou, I can't see you, cause I'm rollin a chop in my assless chaps and foster grant wraparounds, poser idiot.

good luck with your new ride, cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm cool with it as long as it doesn't turn you into a cooler than thou, I can't see you, cause I'm rollin a chop in my assless chaps and foster grant wraparounds, poser idiot.

good luck with your new ride, cheers, bcr

·
Registered
24 Posts
That thing is gonna be pretty sweet, working on one myself, I'll put up a build thread when I get a little further along.

Look great man!

Should be Black on black:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i guess i'll make this my build thread.
i got my seat mostly mounted. i'm waiting on the seat springs.
the rear fender...is rusting. i'm going to cut the bottom half of so i don't have to knotch it for my chain. everyone i've seen that was knotched looks kinda stupid to me.
got my jockey shift made, going to powder it black except for the shift knob.
friggin sweet metalflake gold waffle grips!
My foot clutch is going to use a cable and pulley setup but i haven't got that all figured out yet.
i put a gold o ring 530 chain on it. its endless and way longer then i needed, but looks balls tough since its like an inch wide. anyone here running a o ring chain? how often do you lube it?

so here is the newest picture i have.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess i'll make this my build thread.
i got my seat mostly mounted. i'm waiting on the seat springs.
the rear fender...is rusting. i'm going to cut the bottom half of so i don't have to knotch it for my chain. everyone i've seen that was knotched looks kinda stupid to me.
got my jockey shift made, going to powder it black except for the shift knob.
friggin sweet metalflake gold waffle grips!
My foot clutch is going to use a cable and pulley setup but i haven't got that all figured out yet.
i put a gold o ring 530 chain on it. its endless and way longer then i needed, but looks balls tough since its like an inch wide. anyone here running a o ring chain? how often do you lube it?

so here is the newest picture i have.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i am running a 530 o-ring on my RD400 and its one of the biggest mistakes i have made on my build. it is wayyy too heavy. as for lubing it, i lube mine once a week, but i use chain wax from maxima. you put it on when you get done riding and let it sit for at least 12 hours. the chain will be hot, so it will get down in the rings and lube, but it dries, so there is no fling and stuff. i have used it on my bikes for the last 8 years and love the stuff

·
Registered
699 Posts
i am running a 530 o-ring on my RD400 and its one of the biggest mistakes i have made on my build. it is wayyy too heavy. as for lubing it, i lube mine once a week, but i use chain wax from maxima. you put it on when you get done riding and let it sit for at least 12 hours. the chain will be hot, so it will get down in the rings and lube, but it dries, so there is no fling and stuff. i have used it on my bikes for the last 8 years and love the stuff

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ahhhh......... so you may actually be able to appreciate the seemingly insignificant pic I posted of the molested sprocket with it's seal bore also machined to accept a non-antique and even double lipped seal

both mods done to reduce losses and the seal also improves....... well sealing

the 520 oring chain consumes as much power as a straight 530

guess if I'm going to bother with any oring chains at all on this one

nope

it just about rolls like it was on air

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ahhhh......... so you may actually be able to appreciate the seemingly insignificant pic I posted of the molested sprocket with it's seal bore also machined to accept a non-antique and even double lipped seal

both mods done to reduce losses and the seal also improves....... well sealing

the 520 oring chain consumes as much power as a straight 530

guess if I'm going to bother with any oring chains at all on this one

nope

it just about rolls like it was on air

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seat springs and rear fender mounted. too bad i'm going to have to cut it off and redo it. I'm going 18" spoked back wheel now so its going to rub on my tire.

a made some little brackets for my mids today.

here is my foot clutch, round one.

thats about it. Next i should have my wheels and tires put on. Got new bearings for those coming in this week. Then comes wiring.

·
Registered
699 Posts
not to nitpick, but is that linkage rod stiff enough on the mids? my RD was VERY critical that all the parts didnt have any play in them to work correctly, especially on the shift side. BTW, beautiful mid mounts!! overall, a very cool build

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah it works fine for the clutch. it doesn't bend or have any play in it. I am going to make another rod, as my m6 x 1.0 die is worn out and not making clean threads. I hate not having good working tools, and i hate even more letting others borrow my good worknig tools and getting them back in less then that condition.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts