Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Think that the 'Noke's finest will put up with it once you get it on the road? This weekend I'll have a post on shortening fork travel.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
valid concern. And i wish i could tell how it handles bumps in the road, but i can't. once i get it registered i'll be able to test ride and see that all of my "cool" ideas actually didn't work well.
but thats half the fun isn't it?
quote:Originally posted by DesmoDog

I like that bike... lot's of nice details.

One thing though... when I look at the shifter, I wonder how it will handle bumps, seems like it might jiggle around a lot as you're riding and I'm not sure how that will work out? Sounds like it's relatively light but it's long enough I'd worry about it putting pressure on the shift forks or even shifting when you hit bumps?

No idea if that's a legitimate worry, it's just something that came to mind when i saw it.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Maybe put a shift gate on the tank? Like an E, but with 6 slots. Put a spring loaded hinge at the bottom to preload the shifter. It'll keep the shifter in the gate so it doesn't shift by itself when you hit a bump.

Nice bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey man, in your 2nd pic posted there looks to be a 16" rear spoked xs650 wheel in the background. do you still have it? wanna sell? I NEED it for my project and have cash in hand. please let me know!

on another note, this build of yours is wicked cool man! I am diggin the hell out of it! I have 2 xs builds in the works as we speak. one rigid, one swingarm. thanks!

josh

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whoever told you to use 100% Argon on the stainless tubing was wrong. You should have had a Helium mix. The 100% Argon will work and you will get good penetration but it will eventually begin to rust at the welds. The Helium cleans the welds to keep this from happening. Looks good BTW, just thought you should know what to expect. It won't be bad rust but it will rust.

·
Registered
896 Posts
wow nice build.... it's nice to see something out of the cafe world once in a while.... here is my current chop build:

before and so far, well actually so far in pix

·
Registered
430 Posts
as for titling services, you might want to try ITS (international title services) alot cheaper than Broadway Title for the same service. also, all you will need is a buddy to make up a bill of sale and have it signed in front of a notary for a buck or so. total i think it is about $150 not counting getting insurance set up.

also, any more overall shots? detail shots? pics with the new pipes?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
no detail shots, but here is the exhaust installed.

its still loud as balls even with 12" more of pipe. who would have thought?
i swear to god, oneday i'll finish it.
there is one other small difference. the forks are 35mm now. THe bike was a box of parts remember, and well it had early 34mm forks with late 35mm triple trees. they worked but the cinch bolts had to go all the way tight to hold the forks. Fucking bike tried to pull a fast one on me! it would have sucked to have riden it and hit the first big bump and have the forks slight up thru the damn trees! so now that won't happen.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the new pipes look great. are you going to polish them?

good to know you made it out alright on the forks issue. are you going to be running a front brake? with the fork change, you may have to use a different year rotor (newer) to fit that wheel properly.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
With the pipes run under the engine, why not stash some small mufflers under there?
Should hide well and save at least a little hearing..

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Swagger

With the pipes run under the engine, why not stash some small mufflers under there?
Should hide well and save at least a little hearing..
You can pick up some small diameter suppertraps and fit them to the ends pretty easily.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Wish I'd looked at this thread sooner- nice looking bike so far. I really like the fat front tire way more than a tall skinny one

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
i'm mailing off all the needed paper work to get a set of plates and registration in my name from the great state of Maine! i'm going thru ITS title services and its $165 and should take about 3 or 4 weeks.

I did all my homework and the bike doesn't seem to be reported stolen or anything fishy. just nothing on file with the DMV of va or NC where the bike came from.

i needed a bill of sale notorized, a power of attorney notorized for them to sign for me in Maine, current insurance card covering this bike, and a copy of my license.
I'll sit and wait now for a few weeks. They said the state of maine will mail the tags and registration to my home address.

i ended up riding the bike about 5 miles the other day anyway. Lots of rubber-necking, including one city cop. but i didn't get pulled over. :)
picture of from my illegal ride...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's really shaping up nicely! As to my previous comment regarding stashing mufflers under it, I was referring to those 12" mini-mufflers often seen on sporties. Might be just enough to cut some of the inevitable shotgun blast from your pipes.....neat bike!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts