Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I am currently working on a 1982 XV750 that I plan to turn into a Street Fighter/Coffee Racer. The build so far is going well, except I have finally come to my first issue I cannot work out on my own. I have bought a GSXR-600 front end, as I very much wanted the inverted fork.

The issue is that the forks are much shorter than stock, and that puts my ground clearance at a deadly low height. Im afraid to measure but its somewhere around 2 inches, less with me on it.

I have looked into the possibility of lengthening the forks, which I would be comfortable getting in them as I did the opposite with the forks on my last build. The issue with that is, there seems to be no one who has done it on the internet, for me to learn how to do it, or who sells things needed to do it. The other thing that I have looked into were fork extender caps. I have found one set that I actually quite like, however they only add 15 mm or about ½ an inch, where I would need about 3-3.5 inches to be happy.

ANY thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated, and I am sure Ill be back on to pick your brains about other things with the build.

Thanks so much
Ethan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man,

There isnt any reason to be that rude. Im not sure what to do so I was seeking the guidance of other people. I don’t know how to lengthen the forks, and I dont have the tools to lathe my own extenders, nor can I find one long enough to fit my needs.

Any actual suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ethan

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hey man,There isnt any reason to be that rude.
YOU bought forks that are at least 3 1/2" too short, probably more than that. You said that you can't find any information on the internet to tell you how stretch them (that's because people don't) and yet you come here and ask how to make the wrong forks fit.

You bought USD forks 'cause ya think there cool and you didn't even bother to measure how long they needed to be in order to work.

You fucked up. You need to buy different forks. Make sure they are the right length and that All Balls has a kit for the stem conversion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YOU bought forks that are at least 3 1/2" too short, probably more than that. You said that you can't find any information on the internet to tell you how stretch them (that's because people don't) and yet you come here and ask how to make the wrong forks fit.

You bought USD forks 'cause ya think there cool and you didn't even bother to measure how long they needed to be in order to work.

You fucked up. You need to buy different forks. Make sure they are the right length and that All Balls has a kit for the stem conversion.
Yeah, I definetly understand that I bought forks that were radically too short with a wheel that was way too small. I messed up, and I came on here to seek guidance from people who were smarter more experienced than myself. Not to be hassled by a man who doesn’t know anything about me or my intelligence, but treats me like I didn’t think about a single decision I made. Obviously I understand the All Balls kit and the stem conversion because I did it with the GSXR fork. If you don’t have good information that will help me, don’t reply to my questions. Pick on someone who isnt me.
That being said, would you have any recommendations for an USD fork that would be 4-5 inches longer than the ones I have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats why you lost a whole bunch of ground clearance, your stock front rim was a 19, modern performance bikes run 17"
and your rear wheel sucks it is 16
If you don’t mind, can I pick your brain for more information about this? Would you know where to find a rim that fits my needs? Also, would I need to worry about anything like new rotors to fit the new rim? I don’t plan to run a fender, but do you know if it would effect the travel enough to make the riding questionable? I don’t plan to take to bike on track, or run it off-road or over any crazy holes, so I don’t think that I could push the suspension far enough, but I also don’t know how far “that far” even is.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I didn't question you intelligence. What I do know about you so far is you don't know much about bikes, that you have looked at a lot of pictures but done little research/planning, that your mechanical skills are limited and you didn't read the "Read this" when you signed on. We don't know if you have ever owned/ridden a bike, if the bike runs, what you have done so far, what you are going to use the bike for, why an XV.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
If you don’t mind, can I pick your brain for more information about this? Would you know where to find a rim that fits my needs? Also, would I need to worry about anything like new rotors to fit the new rim? I don’t plan to run a fender, but do you know if it would effect the travel enough to make the riding questionable? I don’t plan to take to bike on track, or run it off-road or over any crazy holes, so I don’t think that I could push the suspension far enough, but I also don’t know how far “that far” even is.
Personally I think your mistake was going with USD forks, they are not as great as people seem to think they are, particularly on a bike frame the was never designed to use them, all of the advantages USD forks have is lost when you mount them on the wrong bike. Your front axle is what you are now building to, the axle on your forks is huge because that is your only fork brace, particularly since you are planning to ride it fenderless. Your front brakes are now Huge compared to what you actually need, as in twice the brakes you need and that will be a problem if only because of the additional weight and mass added to your front wheel. Your rear suspension is going to feel like a pogo stick with no shock absorber and the front will handle like it is the front end off the wrong bike so sadly you will have no problem finding the limits of your suspension even during normal riding.
Wheels and tires will not interchange easily, there are just too many variables, I know of a scrap yard that has about a thousand bikes to part out, but to fit alternate wheels on GSXR 600 forks, your options will be extremely limited. Even the brake mounting bracket on a USD fork is far more complicated to work with then on RSU forks :(

Your bad fork choice was based strictly on appearance, the XV750 is a bit of a weak framed lump, might be time to start thinking of the bike as a nice GSXR600 front end with the wrong bike parts attached to it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
how about a front wheel from the suzuki soft roader thingy. v strom - man, can't believe i had to google it to remember what it was. 19", probably a smaller disc too. some of the late ones have usd forks too, for the look you want and they'd be long. you can restrict the travel internally if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

I am currently working on a 1982 XV750 that I plan to turn into a Street Fighter/Coffee Racer. The build so far is going well, except I have finally come to my first issue I cannot work out on my own. I have bought a GSXR-600 front end, as I very much wanted the inverted fork.

The issue is that the forks are much shorter than stock, and that puts my ground clearance at a deadly low height. Im afraid to measure but its somewhere around 2 inches, less with me on it.

I have looked into the possibility of lengthening the forks, which I would be comfortable getting in them as I did the opposite with the forks on my last build. The issue with that is, there seems to be no one who has done it on the internet, for me to learn how to do it, or who sells things needed to do it. The other thing that I have looked into were fork extender caps. I have found one set that I actually quite like, however they only add 15 mm or about ½ an inch, where I would need about 3-3.5 inches to be happy.

ANY thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated, and I am sure Ill be back on to pick your brains about other things with the build.

Thanks so much
Ethan
Ethan,
I have seen fork extenders for cruisers, not sure if they make them for sports bikes.
You may want to talk to a machine shop and have them make you long thread extenders
To make sure they are safe. Stay safe!

·
Registered
773 Posts
there's someone in australia who makes extensions for sport bikes. i'm sure irk miller had some on one of his bikes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts