Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike History:
I'm the third owner of this motorcycle and only the second to put miles one her. The original owner put 11 miles on it before it before passing away. After that it sat well wrapped on top of a mountain at his cabin for 12+ years. The second owner was a family friend of the first and so when the family found the bike they gave it him. The second owner has a total of 4 xs1100 bikes from multiple different years and has full restored two of them. So he went through the whole bike and cleaned it up again but for the life of him he just couldn't get it to idle. So after a year of messing with it, he wrapped it up in a tarp and it sat in his back yard for another two years. It was at this point that I started looking for another motorcycle. I know the second owner from where I work and when I started looking around he offered to sell me the fore mentioned bike for $400. I have now owned the motorcycle for 2 and a half years.

What I have done
So in the first year I had this I tore apart the top end and checked all the pistons, then re shimmed it. I also picked up full kits for each of the carbs and went through them all. When redoing the carbs I found that the third one had the tip of the mixture screw had been snapped off in the hole. When attempting to remove all the copper on the first set of carbs the metal was brittle and snapped off. On the second set of carbs I attempted to drill out the air/gas mixture screw (i have noticed a trend with how people screw up these carbs) but didn't know where to get a drill bit small enough so I tried to be careful but ended up drilling it farther then I should have. So I tried to make due with that and just run with it from there. And for a while it sort of worked...it would sputter a little as you rode. I finally have a third carb bank...and this time I went to a specialty shop and got what I needed to drill out yet another carb bank that had a broken off tip...this time it was perfect. So now the engine sounds good and she runs beautifully.

Now the fun part begins. So I tried to make some changes to the seat and trimmed down the foam then sewed my own seat cover. it didn't turn out to bad for my first try but it really wasn't want I wanted it to look like. So I started looking around and found that I really like the brat look. So now I have chopped the back part of the frame. I'm waiting on a friend to finish bending a new hoop for the back and I have attached the front fender from the my parts bike to the back after painting it. I also took the second tank and stripped it down and have sent it off to get painted.

I have all of the fiberglass stuff for making new side panels and a new seat pan. In order to get the seat done now I have used a plastic tube with some 3/8th copper tubing to hold the ridged form while the fiberglass sets. I have also replaced the back lights with a LED brake light with the turn signals built in. I have also ordered all of the electronic components needed to convert the bike to LED and keep the auto shutoff feature for the blinkers. While I'm making parts out of fiberglass I plan to move the hardware that is on the side of the bike to under the seat in order to clean up the look and allow the new side panels to follow the contour of frame so it looks slimmer.

What I'm planning
I plan to replace the handle bars with clubman style handlebars. And I found a nice LED light that has the blinkers built into the bulb. I'm also looking at going with an all in one gauge to cleanup the front. Also looking at moving the pegs back a little along with the shifting and breaking mechanisms. Eventually I would also like to change out the tires for spoke rims.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Forget spoke wheels on a bike as fast and heavy as a XS11. It would handle like crap.

Clubman bars are not a good idea on this bike, your weight is too far forward, and you don't have enought leverage. The bike must weigh nearly 120 pounds more than a sport bike. That is why you need old superbike type bars.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I'll have to at least pull of the wheels and get them repainted. As for the handle bars I will have to lean on it and feel it out. But my second choice was the superbike type bars.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Looks like I'll have to at least pull of the wheels and get them repainted. As for the handle bars I will have to lean on it and feel it out. But my second choice was the superbike type bars.
I see your on your way. I have the same headlight as you describe except I chose the running light solution vs. Turn signals. I forget not everyone has a bad back like me but if your going to use it for a trip to Sturgis then superbike bars would be a better choice.....especially if you leave the foot position stock. Here's a picture of superbike bars on mine.

20150129_131402.jpg

Plus I have stock foot position.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Spoke rims are strong enough. The biggest problem you have is getting a rear hub to work on your shaft drive spline. Not sure if the Virago hubs can be slotted onto the XS pumpkin - probably a question best asked over on XS11.com

But it's also a lot of money - you'll probably spend $1K all up with buying all the bits and getting the wheels re-laced and you'll essentially be no better off (except for a more unique look).

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Spoke wheels won't collapse, but they will flex at speed and under big power on a Excessive11. Don't waste your cash on wires.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
As hillsy said, you'll have your work cut out finding a wire wheel to fit the rear. I think an XS/GX 750 one would bolt straight on, but they are extremely rare, and I've heard of a pair of hubs selling for £600. A front wheel from an XS650 should fit.
I was lucky enough to pick up this early XS750 a few years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here is what she looks like right now.
20150409_181331_zpsneswp3dm.jpg
And after a lot of looking and consideration from input I went with the Euro handlebars with a low two inch rise instead of the clubman or the clip ons. I figure I will give my back a bit of break and try to reduce my strain to reach for the bars.

This weekends project will be painting the tank and making my own fiberglass battery/electronics well. The fiberglass will be done in a way so it looks like it the frame was built around it. As you can see from the picture I haven't done a whole bunch of chopping and modifying. This week I changed her over to pods and tossed the air box in the shed with the rest of the parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been a while since I posted on this. So here is an update. The side panels and headlight bucket are getting painted. The rear fender he took with him so he could match the colors. The carbs are on the bench with a leaky float sealing up. And air box pulled apart with the foam air drying before I give it a toss with the oil. I have also added LED lights with a kill switch so I can turn them off during the day when I don't need them. The seat hoop will be installed once I get the rear fender back. That way I know its all lined up right. Otherwise since the last post I have gone through and had the Tank and everything painted. I pulled the entire top apart and re-seated all of the valves. And replaced the valve seals along with fixing my shims. As long as everything comes back this next week like it is supposed to, then I should have a finished product to show off.
20160214_145924_zps9izou3ei.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally out for the first breath of air for the year. I turned her over after the rebuild top end and she ran pretty smooth. I ended up putting a little oil in the first cylinder because it wasn't sounding as lubed as I wanted. I should know tomorrow if my initial tear down will require a big bore upgrade...
AlmostThere.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts