Cafe Racer Forum banner

Yamaha g7s resto

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  steveo 
#1 ·
I'm a new member. 70 yrs old...have 8 old bikes...been maintaining and restoring forever. Presently restoring a 1974 Yamaha g7s 80 cc cafe racer that has been in the family since 1975. Just got it back from my sister...it suffered from brutality by kids and sitting in garage for 15 years. I desperately need an ignition switch. I purchased an fs1 switch hoping I could use it but it is short one wire. I have a mechanic's manual but the wiring diagram is not helpful. Have tried all the normal sites such as ebay ect. with no luck. Any help to find parts like this?

#4 ·
found this if you don't already have it: ... sadly it is not in colour,
I like the part where they tell you how to improve charging.
The "Main switch connecting" chart is the key to what needs to be switched. By my read E is earth so if you ground out the Black wire the bike stops = 0 position on key. position I is likely daytime running, and position II is either night or parking lights only.
What does the wiring diagram for your replacement switch look like, compared to this one, we need that.

#6 ·
Definitely NOT Bike Bandit! I ordered parts from them almost 3 weeks ago. They acknowledged the order and are holding PayPal funds in reserve, but will not reply to emails as to when the product (that was in stock!) will ship. Their online chat does not work. Their phones are nothing but a busy signal. There is no way to cancel the orders online. Google Bike Bandit reviews, all recent reviews are terrible. It seems as though they are closed or life support at best.

#9 ·
Probably, but if they cannot function (communicate or ship product) they should temporarily shut down the web site until they can catch up. I believe that they were very good in the past and hopefully can recover. But if they stay open but cannot deliver, they will lose a lot of future business.

#12 ·
Thanks again to Stevo for helping me find my switch. TrailsRider...yes that is the bike. I have the mechanic's manual with the wiring diagram etc. For all you guys one of the best places I have found to get parts is partspitstop.com. I was able to get all the carb. parts I needed (even a new float!) I have used them for many years and they are great.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.