Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg

image.jpg

Me and my son picked this up off CL for $300. We plan on restoring it to its full glory and use it as a pit bike/rv bike/7-11 run bike/just dorking out bike. I always purchase a vehicle with proper title, registration, non-op, etc. we live in California and you can really hump yourself on registration fees if not careful. I read on this forum a lot of folks purchasing real big non running projects....semi complete....with a bill of sale. That is definately not ideal...... especially not to someone new. This runs surprisingly well and is from what I can tell...complete. Riding off road gave me that "I just got my first new motorcycle feel." Remember our first and some our first bikes? Memory lane.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I scrapped my uncle's 76 mx100 last year, and was sad about it.
The Kickstart broke off at the shaft that goes into the side cover, and when we got tired of push starting it as kids, it sat in the shed for 20 years. When I finally dug it out, it wasn't locked up, but so rusty it would have needed everything but an engine and fenders. Similar feels there, I guess. Small Yamaha dirtbike and all...
BTW, I have some brand new dot rated knobby tires in a 3.5x18 and a 3x18 that need a home.
I have $50 in the pair, if you're interested. Never been mounted, still have the stickers on them, less than a year in my closet...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a 72 Yamaha LT2 which is pretty much the same bike that I am rebuilding as well, interested to see your progress. Mine is street titled as well not sure what direction Im going with it yet.

A lot of the HT LT and DT parts interchange if you are looking for stuff. I have an extra engine if you get into it and may need some parts.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
View attachment 12028

View attachment 12029

Me and my son picked this up off CL for $300. We plan on restoring it to its full glory and use it as a pit bike/rv bike/7-11 run bike/just dorking out bike. I always purchase a vehicle with proper title, registration, non-op, etc. we live in California and you can really hump yourself on registration fees if not careful. I read on this forum a lot of folks purchasing real big non running projects....semi complete....with a bill of sale. That is definately not ideal...... especially not to someone new. This runs surprisingly well and is from what I can tell...complete. Riding off road gave me that "I just got my first new motorcycle feel." Remember our first and some our first bikes? Memory lane.
There is a lot of potential dirt upgrades you could do to that bike if you wanted to make it a more full on dirt bike you know :) jus sayin.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
having a small bike in the garage is great. I use mine for parts runs, or to pick up food.
The rear rack is the best mod ever

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone here is so helpful. You all confirm my thoughts that this group of enthusiasts has a wealth of information and experience.....what an asset. I also have gathered you all don't suffer fools well.

when we purchased the bike he gave us 2 new tires and a complete top end kit......apparently he was going to restore it as well. Our intentions are to completely restore it for under $1000.....the best we can. Over the years I have acquired a skill for painting so I will be doing that myself. I am guessing paint product cost will be around $400. The only thing I might change is the primary color.......maybe a mid 70's yamaha yellow........just to be different. If I need some chrome that $1000 estimate is bye bye. Since there is so much knowledge here I might start a new thread concerning zinc plating kits as I have never done that before.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
having a small bike in the garage is great. I use mine for parts runs, or to pick up food.
The rear rack is the best mod ever
I would love to find a rack......I keep looking on ebay but nothing. I like the scooter idea and the more fun on dirt bike thoughts as well. So many ideas, so many thoughts....not enough bikes. Yet!

·
Registered
928 Posts
What is the plan for it? Even if you "only" put $1000 into restoring it you arent going to want to take it out in the dirt and risk tearing it up. If you plan on an selling it afterwards you may be able to make some money off of it, oddly I have seen several restored go upwards of $4-5k but you have to find the right person trying to relive their youth.

I don't know who said it but good advice that has been stated here before, Have a plan and execute the plan.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the plan for it? Even if you "only" put $1000 into restoring it you arent going to want to take it out in the dirt and risk tearing it up. If you plan on an selling it afterwards you may be able to make some money off of it, oddly I have seen several restored go upwards of $4-5k but you have to find the right person trying to relive their youth.

I don't know who said it but good advice that has been stated here before, Have a plan and execute the plan.
I couldn't agree more with the idea and having a plan. The $1000 might end up being $1500 after further calculations. The plan is simple......restore to its full glory........use the crap out of it.....then restore it again if I need to. I spent nearly my entire life buying, working on bikes only to sell them later. I do not regret it as I have acquired some good restoring skills and had fun in the process. I have learned many characteristics of many machines. Now I only purchase things that I intend to keep(at least for a long while). So now I restore only to cater to reliving my youth. But let me tell you......... $4 or $5 thousand is inviting.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think its really weird to see those prices on these little bikes but there must be a market our there somewhere.

When I first got my LT2 (it was given to me for free) I had thoughts about restoring it but then decided if I ever wanted to ride it I would be scared to death to drop it or scratch it. Riding a restored bike in the dirt just didn't seem like a good idea. It will still be good looking when im done but it will be able to do duty as a fire road blaster.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It's been my observation that old bike owners come in one of three types; those who want to Ride the old bike, those who want to Sell the old bike and turn a profit, and those who think they want to Collect old bikes just to look at them.

:I fall under the Ride the old bike category, so a tiny 1970's enduro would never be worth 3 or 4 grand to me.
IF I was inclined to collect bikes, the bike would need to be unused and still in the original shipping crate for it to be worth 3 or 4 grand, which equates to roughly 7 times it's original sticker cost.
The problem with assuming there is a big $ nostalgia market for old restored bikes is: anyone old enough to want that old bone purely for nostalgia reasons, probably remembers what they sold for new.

If you are going to turn an old bike into a dirt squirt, the first thing to do is to remove all those OEM parts like the still perfect instrument cluster and headlight shell, which actually might be worth big $ some day, once you actually locate that illusive guy who collects over-priced 1970's dirt bikes and hangs them on the wall in his museum.

And now for the big question of the day ?:I Why would anyone in their right mind want to put a pillion seat and passenger pegs on a sub 100cc motorcycle?
Unless you are stuck at the size of a 10 year old boy and frequently offer rides to small children ?:I

1 - 20 of 260 Posts