Cafe Racer Forum banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Yeah - I'd be checking all this first up.
Make sure all your grounds are good including engine to chassis. Looks like all new paint you could easily just not be grounding well enough if your paint is good and tough.
I'm usually very good about making sure I have good grounds after painting/PC......but the headlight bezel was not grounding.

CaTacL......the harness is fairly solid with just minimal hardening on some lines. I'm sure it's faulty because of my doing.

I started from the rear of the bike and am working towards the front. So far the rear bulb socket was not grounding due to corrosion so that got addressed. Working my way forward I found that I just taped over the fused connection (no fuse)........so that explained no power to the front. Slowly addressing these but still no power from switch......it may be faulty but I may have connected some items incorrectly. So far things ohmed out and tested power to the rear lighting.

Have faint spark but enough to kick it over and get some life

20170523_171235.jpg

20170523_183053.jpg

20170523_183517.jpg

20170523_194942.jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
I've been going throught the wiring and found that the ignition switch was loose.....not making full connection on some positions.......and I had it backwards.

I can't be trusted with anything.

20170601_211852.jpg

20170601_180852.jpg

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
The electrical is still not completely sorted out but started it and took it for a ride around the block.....with brakes this time. There are a few things I need to address but overall it ran well. I ran premix for now.

One thing though is there is more engine noise than I remember. I'm sure it was there in the beginning and when I rode it a couple months back but I guess now I'm really focused on it........it's louder than it should be which means bearings and stuff.....all I don't really want to do (split the case) but will eventually. The video is of it idling and it sounds like all there is is engine noise but it's not that bad. It's definitely there but my iPad just seems to pick up the engine noise and barely the exhaust. My wife says shoot a vidja farther away......out in the open. I may do that.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Update....

I thought I had lost the rear brake rod actuator forever. I couldn't find it and looking on ebay it was either $86 new shipped from Thailand (which was not horrible)....or some bent beater. But luck came my way and I found it between the cushion of my chair in the garage so I decided to do a little work on it.

20170731_161504.jpg

It is pretty straight.

I started cleaning the part of all grease and grime with some solvent and a purple degreaser.

After that I gave it a phosphoric acid bath to remove the rust and old plating and expose the fresh metal. You can see that it starts to "sizzle" the stuff away. When all the old plating is removed the sizzling stops. You can see that the bottom of the cup has all the rust and stuff so it is easy to pour the good acid back and use it again for other things.

20170731_172111.jpg

20170731_173758.jpg

After this I like to dry it instantly and complete because it can "flash rust" very easily.

So I decided to use the Eastwood kit to finish off this part. But now.....I've learned that 3 times is a charm when it comes to a good plateing. I like to plate..then steel wool......repeating this process 3 times. After that I use the Polish for a quick buff and some additional barrier protection.

20170731_174926.jpg

So now I have a cleaned and plated arm that is ready for some amosol tomorrow. I think I will plate the tid bits a couple more times as all the items I've plated once tends to rust and the ones 3 times.....no rust.

20170731_161519.jpg

20170731_174455.jpg

20170731_180940.jpg

Tomorrow I will have a rear braking system that's functional. We have been using the bike. It seems to be a fairly easy starter and good runner. But the front brakes alone are no match for emergency stops .........or proper stopping for that matter.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I now have rear brakes. What a great modification.......not to have to plan stops and pray there aren't any emergency stops required.

I will now venture further away from my house with confidence

20170801_174354.jpg

20170801_174346.jpg

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
yeah rusty main bearings is the grumbling,the flyeheel you can yank on it and get movement money i would bet on that
loose piston and or wrist pin the higher pitch
i have a parts bike it may have a good crank at any rate the engine will ship pretty cheap let me know i can verify to an extent condition
on another noise note a loose fitting header pipe at the spigot with loose springs can bang out a racket as well

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
yeah rusty main bearings is the grumbling,the flyeheel you can yank on it and get movement money i would bet on that
loose piston and or wrist pin the higher pitch
i have a parts bike it may have a good crank at any rate the engine will ship pretty cheap let me know i can verify to an extent condition
on another noise note a loose fitting header pipe at the spigot with loose springs can bang out a racket as well
Thank you! I may take you up on that........much appreciated.

That sure is a great looking bike...
Thank you. It is very fun to ride around. And the conversation it ignites with others is always fun and educational

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
So I purchased this helmet off eBay for $20 shipped to my door.

The reason I purchased a 3/4 helmet is I have a lot of paint left over so I was thinking of spraying my helmet to match the bike. I purchased a white one so I can tape off the lines. This helmet is a cheap one......more than I thought it would be. It makes me want to go try on a Bell or something as this XXL still seams a little small. The padding on the sides are minimal............but for a helmet to throw on the mirror and "pose" at the local shows was really my intention so I might just make it work. Over the years I've received gifts helmet related and one of them is a pair of Dues Ex Machina goggles that I was going to wear when using this helmet but with the way it squeezes my face.........I may be tempted to get a bubble sheild.

20170902_110249.jpg

20170902_110307.jpg

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
So I purchased this helmet off eBay for $20 shipped to my door.

The reason I purchased a 3/4 helmet is I have a lot of paint left over so I was thinking of spraying my helmet to match the bike. I purchased a white one so I can tape off the lines. This helmet is a cheap one......more than I thought it would be. It makes me want to go try on a Bell or something as this XXL still seams a little small. The padding on the sides are minimal............but for a helmet to throw on the mirror and "pose" at the local shows was really my intention so I might just make it work. Over the years I've received gifts helmet related and one of them is a pair of Dues Ex Machina goggles that I was going to wear when using this helmet but with the way it squeezes my face.........I may be tempted to get a bubble sheild.

View attachment 75521

View attachment 75529
get ya some scott series 89 goggles they fit really well in a hellmet,dont buy any extra lenses i have 50 of them lexan clear and smoke all new ,cheap
you can get them without the goofy grill up top and the nose mask

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Thank you.

I put it on and walked into the room and everyone started laughing. My face is squished together funny.........meme funny......... I think I may need to cover it!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Well I almost sold this little girl today.

I had it listed on ebay and got some bids, a bunch of questions and compliments.....and some advice. A local guy was going to purchase it so I pulled the listing. But then my wife said why am I selling it?? Weren't we going to ride the little 90s together?? So I told the guy it was not for sale any longer. Ever since I got that Electra glide we have been running it non-stop. 22300 miles since last december.....all leisure weekend rides or multiple day overnighters. I thought it would be good to thin out some stuff since wrenching to me now is checking tire pressure but I guess it stays. I'll probably just sell my CB750 since that is really on the back burner.

It really is more fun to ride than wrench.....or maybe I'm just getting older.

20181120_160200.jpg

20181120_160327.jpg

20180920_144016.jpg

·
Registered
790 Posts
as good a reason as any to keep it.

i don't think i would have done a lot more than 22,300 miles total on motorcycles in my life.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
as good a reason as any to keep it.

i don't think i would have done a lot more than 22,300 miles total on motorcycles in my life.
To be honest it really doesn't feel like we road that much. These big twins just eat up miles and before you know it....it's a 400 mile day.

Riding this little 90 for say 30 miles is exhausting.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Beautiful day to take the little ones out for a quick ride. The Yamaha was a little hard starting....probably cause it hasn't been ridden for around a month or so. The Honcho already plugged the fuel valve...again. probably rust setiment.

20190111_132246.jpg

Now to put them back and forget about them....only to bitch and moan why it will be a harder start in a couple of months or so.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Don't know if this applies in your case. Are you draining the float bowl when you put them away? If not, when you drag them out, drain the bowl and then turn on the tap. It seems to help a whole bunch in certain cases. Basically over a few weeks with the bowl vented to atmosphere, all the easily ignited stuff vaporizes. Especially in cases where the fuel is crap to start with.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Don't know if this applies in your case. Are you draining the float bowl when you put them away? If not, when you drag them out, drain the bowl and then turn on the tap. It seems to help a whole bunch in certain cases. Basically over a few weeks with the bowl vented to atmosphere, all the easily ignited stuff vaporizes. Especially in cases where the fuel is crap to start with.
Full disclosure........ I'm not diligent with that. Mainly because I tell myself I will start in a couple of days/a week/etc....only for it to sit 2 or 3 months..sometimes more.

I usually let it run dry but that's not always thorough. I always run stabil fuel stabilizer in things I don't use regularly.

241 - 260 of 260 Posts