Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yamaha Parts Bin Special - Junior FZR / ow01

I've been riding an FZR400/6 hybrid for the past summer. It's reasonably well sorted from a performance aspect now, more then enough for my abilities. This winters small project is to play dress up with it as it's pretty odd looking in its current form. The lighting at night is terrible.

It currently has an Apriia Tuono Upper Race Fairing, FZR600r (Thundercat) Gas Tank, Durbahn CF Honda RC51 Tail and CF front fender. The tank and seat work ok together right now so the first issue to be addressed is the fairing.

I've tried both stock and race FZR400 fairing's loosely mocked up though they wouldn't fit to well around the bigger radiator and aftermarket exhaust. I started to look at other options and settling on the Yamaha ow01 fairing thinking it should sufficiently fit the radiator and exhaust without too much issue, it looks great, is from the same year and is Yamaha. The only issue, finding an ow01 fairing... yes Airtech have race ones as do a few others, street fairings are evidently few and far between, especially in the US.

I spent about 3 months asking around and got onto someone in the UK who thought he had one laying about, more waiting time then I get the notification a month later that he has one for me. Another month of waiting and it finally arrived in NYC this morning. Freight costs were more then the fairing cost, I don't want to be shipping another of these to the US if I can ever find one again. I may have to have a mould taken off of this fairing so I can remake one if this ever gets damaged.

B9AA244E-93CD-4297-A4FF-B865AD2B7A10_zpsjicfr3h6.JPG

After the months of waiting I couldn't wait to see if it would fit...

1509F50F-38A2-4896-81B6-B3CA0A5A8E4A_zpssqigcgyw.JPG

AC360655-0511-444F-B67A-E89F5D90FC86_zpszxfbkksg.JPG

With only one set of hands it was difficult to check but it looks like it should fit without too much issue. I will have to drop the controls to below the top triple tree, maybe make a little room around the radiator from the inner part of the fairing and probably cut a side stand section out of the belly pan.

BBED8EE6-53C8-4AD9-9B9C-404E66B25950_zpsgkalpkvw.JPG

C94F683C-7148-42CF-941B-0BEA6DE96D11_zpsn8lqqpdo.JPG

Now I know it should work out ok I will be trying to locate lights and brackets through I imagine I'm going to have to have custom mounts made anyway. This next part could take some time tracking down parts but hopefully the guy in the UK can help me out there also. More to come whenever progress is next made...

I guess it will all get painted at some stage, not sure of colours/schemes though that will come late in the project. If you have any ideas, feel free to post them up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finding ow01 parts requires patience...

These arrived today from the UK - complete headlight assembly and fairing mount. The bracket for the gauge mounts are broken though that isn't to much of an issue.
With a little work it should work out ok.

The main mount will need some work to fit the frame mounts which are a little too wide for the ow01 mount.
I can either cut them and have them widened or a simple option would be to make a bracket to go from frame mounts to faring mount without altering the faring mount. Depends on how the fairing will fit I guess, making some temporary ply wood mounts might be a good first step in getting this to fit together.

I'm away for the next couple of weeks so won't get to it until the new year.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I haven't checked in here for a while...

The spacing on the lights on the FZr400 to ow01 is slightly different and all around different measurements.

I quit my job last year, now working freelance and have been traveling a lot so funds and time have been limited. I also moved across the country to Los Angeles as my girlfriend transferred her job there.
My bikes are still in NY and I will be back there in September for a couple of weeks for work, hopefully get some time with bikes also.

Due to all of the above -BigBadBobDog has my bike in his workshop and will be getting everything finished for me - hopefully updates to come by the end of September.
New clutch plates and springs in, factory pro gear selector, trail tech vaporguage all arrived and ow01 windscreen finally on the way after 3 month long wait time.

It looks like another forum member has a ow01 seat which I will try fitting also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its been a while... figured I would fix the images above that photobucket blocked and add some more recent ones.

This project really snowballed...
The good news is the fairing is now mounted and squared away. I was wrong when I said above that it should fit without too much issue, very wrong. It fits though it was with a lot of issues... the ow01 engine / frame must be narrower then the 400 with 600 engine as the fairing had to be modified significantly to make it all work, especially the lower fairing which was cut in two and will need a bellypan glassed in to join them up again. Still some work to be done to clean up those lowers though that will happen last.

The new ow-01 screen is mounted.
The trailtech vapor gauge and fairing mounts and indicator lights have all come together nicely thanks to Oscars good hands with the welder. Oscar also made a new mounts for the front master cylinder.
New cush drive rubbers in the TZ rear wheel and we had that powder coated black.

Next on the list is an OW01 seat and seat pad on the way from airtech to replace the RC51 seat. This will require a new exhaust mid pipe to be made, new hanger brackets and maybe even a new subframe? Systems, you can't change just one thing, one thing affects another. Also, Oscar is making a new mount for the rear brake caliper.

We've also got to figure out what to do about those holes in the top of the faring where the ow01 would have had the ram air pipes running.

IMG_9067.JPG

IMG_9069.JPG

IMG_9070.JPG

IMG_9071.JPG

IMG_9072.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some progress, adding weight... heavy fiberglass replacing the CF RC51 style seat.
Its not all dress up, the Master Cylinder was repositioned with a new mount and working out the new mount for the rear caliper which will be moved to below the swingarm as the current way its mounted is not quite right.

IMG_9328.JPG

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I know a fella can never have too many rotary tables, but what do you do with them? I now feel inadequate because I only have one rotary table and one dividing head. BTW, your micrometer is borderline ridiculous. It looks like it would need to be corrected based on the phase of the moon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a fella can never have too many rotary tables, but what do you do with them? I now feel inadequate because I only have one rotary table and one dividing head. BTW, your micrometer is borderline ridiculous. It looks like it would need to be corrected based on the phase of the moon.
Cyorg, I can't take credit for the workshop or work, its not my shop. It is the workshop of one of the members on here and his business partner. Myself, I don't even have a garage anymore...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Cyorg, I can't take credit for the workshop or work, its not my shop. It is the workshop of one of the members on here and his business partner. Myself, I don't even have a garage anymore...
I did think of complimenting you on the shop, but figured in doing so I might insult some other folks in the process. It looks like it has the right balance between the OCD Anal Retentive spotless display area where nothing happens, and the rats warren that looks like it is owned by a now defunct member of the bomb disposal squad. My shop tilts a few degrees towards the rats warren side and have to force myself to keep things put back in their place, but at least I can walk across the shop without looking like I'm playing hop scotch. It's a rainy foggy day here and its a sign that the monsoon season is close at hand. One more reason for me to sound like a dick.
Anyway, good choice for a fairing and good luck with your project.

Living where you live, I can understand why you wouldn't have a garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts