Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hello guys

This is my first post in this forum and i want to show you my build of the Sr125 1996

First some things about me:
Im 16 years old and come from Germany
and i decided to build me a motorcycle
in the style i like it.

I made a whole thread in a german forum about my build and decided to put the pics in this forum here and write a littlebit about them.

So lets get started:

First i bought a Sr125 in August for 250$

It was in a OK shape but not too well

Then i started cleaning it and so on.

After that i built a batteriebox and moved the ignitionlock(?) and the horn under the tank and painted both

Then i took the tank and removed all the
paint wich was on there and polished it and rubbed it with wd40 to conserve it

Then i went on with the seat wich i made from wood to keep it easy

Then i put a campingmatrace on it to have a nice buffer while i would read
At last i took a white leather and stretched it over the seat and nailed it on

Then i removed the old handlebars and switched them out for new cross styles
And i switched my turnsignals for bulleyes(we call them like that in germany)

And bought a new frontlight and new tacho

After this was done i build a compartment for all the electronics under the seat and intigrated a cigarettelighter

After that all i installed a new taillight and painted my frontbrake red for optics

Then i moved to the exhaust and switched it for a new one wich sounds a lot better

Then at the last step i built a windshield with the number 16 on it for a nice retrostyle

Here are the final pics

Greetings
Lipton

Id like to know what you think about it so i hope some of you could write something about it or give me tips to do some things better

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
I think you did a better job than I would have at 16.

Keep reading and learning, you're already ahead of where 80% of internet builds end up.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Can you run studded tires on your motorcycles in Germany ? Looks like it would be a hoot to ride on snow and ice covered roads.

Like today:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes in germany in my region i could easily drive

Today was perfect weather dry roads and sun was shining

But either way im not allowed to drive by now because im turning 16 on 2 december and thats when i get my licence

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Yes in germany in my region i could easily drive

Today was perfect weather dry roads and sun was shining

But either way im not allowed to drive by now because im turning 16 on 2 december and thats when i get my licence

;) maybe if there is enough snow on the roads and you stud the tires up real good they won't be able to catch you :D

... no wait, I probably shouldn't be contributing to the delinquency of a minor :eek: don't do that!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm with dohc............you are way ahead of me at almost 16 than I was at that age

Keep learning....your doing great.

It looks like with some rear shocks and a tweak here and a tweak there it could be pretty off road capable. Now go ride it and be proud of your work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much

Yes i thought about some new rear shocks before but i would buy them used

Some wich are more for offroad and look cooler

But that all has time now im going to ride it and enjoy it

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
But that all has time now im going to ride it and enjoy it
Holy s#!+ kid is smart.

Some longer shocks came to my mind as well but without the sr125 rake and trail specs in my head i cant make that recommendation just yet. Very likely would be a welcome change in steering feel, but you have to be careful messing with trail on a really light bike.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
I just noticed the bar-end turn indicators. I like them. Trees will not like them.

I've never seen a stock fender raised like that. Looks great on there, fits the theme very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Yes i raised the fender with some aluminium plates to give it a more old cross like look

And the turnindicators were a musthave for me because when i first saw them i knew i want them on my bike aswell :D

The shocks im not sure about
I'd mainly install them for look but i think i wouldnt go in too hart with my bike either

But lets see if i find a cheap pair on ebay one day

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Keep that attitude young man and you'll go far. Good work. You may find after you get out there and put some miles on that you went a little light on the seat padding. Hard to tell from the pic's but what kind of shape is that back wheel in? Look forward to hearing how your first ride goes and good luck with your test.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Well done.

Very good use of available skills and materials that has produced a nice little ride for you.

Ride safe and wearing good protective gear. Most of all enjoy it!

I passed my full motorcycle license on a Yam SR125 back in the early nineties so I always smile when I see one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes on the seat is not very much padding but i liked it so because then its low profile
But if it hurts someday i can switch it to my old original seat wich has way more padding on

The wheel is not in the greatest conidition and im going to switch it before i can ride my bike wich is in 1.5 weeks

Thank you pwalo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like those tures. What are they?
Im looking for chunky on /off road for sr 125 chunkier the better but must be rated for road too 😉

1 - 18 of 18 Posts