Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell what y'all know. One down the street for sale cheap, looks like a runner.

Not that I need another project. Its got knobbies on it, so it can't be all that bad.

Might not be a TX, but it's a 500 four stroke.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Is it a TX or XT? I have heard that TXs were rolling grenades while all the XTs I've ever known were bulletproof.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Unga,
Whatever it is get it. People put knobbies on all kinds of stuff. But the XT is a 4 stroke single. 2 valve motor about the same motor as the SR500 and TT500. TX500 also known as the XS500 some years is a 2cyl DOHC 4 valve twin. Some earlier years would crack the head between the valves. The later years were good. They all looked cool.

Ken

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... its a 1979 XT500. Single cylinder 4 stroke. Looks like an early dual sport. Even has a plate. Neat.

Worthwhile?

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
If it's less than $750 just do it.
Didja get a job yet? If you did . . . .

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Well, I'm a little biased on this topic, I've been racing an XT500 for 10 years. It's a great platform for a few things. Great road racer or Cafe bike. Great flattracker (with the right mods). Ok woods bike or dual purpose bike. The thing is, it's a 35 year old design, so if you compare it or race it against modern stuff, you'll have your work cut out for you, but as a vintage/amateur/period bike, it's hard to beat.
Tons of high perf stuff available to wake up that engine without turning it into a grenade. I love mine. If I had to sell all my bikes but one, or dump 'em in the ocean, whatever, I'd keep my XT.
If that's the bike for sale in the picture it looks like it's a $2500 -$3500 bike, depending on mods and stuff that I can't see. Spares?

FR

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
if it's cheap and you don't want it, would you be interested in grabbing it and bringing it to the track next week?

Craig

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it's not the one in the picture... Just posted that as the potential for the bike.

I should pick it up and put the RZ350 wheels I have on it.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I endurance raced one in about 83 or so. We had a KZ650 front wheel and forks on it. It went pretty good and crashed really well. Do you have a complete RZ350 front end? It might bolt right on.
If the price is right you should grab it up.
Ken

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
if it's a nice XT it will fetch large dollars

guess none of you saw what the last very nice XT fetched on ebay?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've seen great XTs go for $1500 . Great bike to pic up if you can . Built tough and the motors are bulletproof .

I hate E-Bay , Cycletrader and Walnecks . Always jacking up the prices on old bikes .

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Last summer I planned to go to an estate auction and steal the XT that was on it thinking no one there would know what it was. The day of I spaced it a little bit and got there just in time to see the guy that had driven from Ill(min two hrs) and paid $1300 for it loading it in his truck. Swoop it if you can get it cheap.

I know where there's one sitting, but it's blown up, dissassembled, parts missing.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
if it's clean get it. as FR said its a great platform. mine (cafe) is almost done and I'll post some pics in a week or so in the mean time this is one of my favorites.
cheers, bcr
[/img]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts