Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

I just got in a XJ900P 2008 which the last owner started on the project but only trimmed the tail only. i want to cut the rear frame but trying to see if i can get it done without welding the top bar to the bottom bar

this is the bike now the whites lines is where i would like to cut
IMG_20190503_160603.jpg
IMG_20190503_160538.jpg

i am trying to achieve the image below
received_1025669257643763.jpeg

is it possible

·
Registered
15 Posts
i would have to say to maintain weight capacity ratings on the tail i would cut the bar you have indicated and weld a section of it as support here within the red circle as long as it does not hinder hardware IMG_20190503_160538.jpg

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not a lot of rear suspension travel available on your dream bike there.

The tail drops when the rider gets on the bike. The tire expands as the bike speeds up. The wheel moves up when the bike hits a bump or accelerates. Are you planning on running a strut in place of the shock? Or just a really stiff spring?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not get to that stage as yet. it has an adjustable shock if i can not achieve the ride then i will look for a replacement. Still trying to figure out the frame cutting

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am trying to do this without a weld support from the bottom bar to the top bar. like the image of the orange bike. i believe he reinforced the top bar. i cant seem to find anything on that build but if it comes down to it i will just weld a support

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It looks like his seat support is already bending and as Desmo pointed out there's no clearance for the rear tire. You do not sound like you have any engineering sense or the actual mechanical skills to do what you are talking about.

I really hate this fucking mess.
received_1025669257643763.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OKay so i was just asking out there how he would have done it and it seems that i now know i need to change that shock and weld a support. Im deicing too go with a more scrambler 2 seater and do a racer 1 seat on my ST1100. Thanks please suggest any struts upgrades and front fork upgrades i should do. will update once cut

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I did not get to that stage as yet. it has an adjustable shock if i can not achieve the ride then i will look for a replacement. Still trying to figure out the frame cutting
Did not get to WHAT stage yet? The figuring out if it will work stage?

That's pretty much what you want to do FIRST, before you start cutting things.

You can adjust compression damping all you want, it won't compensate for a lack of clearance.

EDIT: I just saw your latest reply. There seem to be some language things going on here too.

Struts are not the same thing as shocks. Struts are rigid spacers that hold the rear end in place and allow no movement. In the car world "strut" has an entirely different meaning. When I asked if you were using struts, I meant are you making it into a hard tail with no rear suspension.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i want to change as minimum as possible on the bike. im thinking to just trim the tail till and just keep the bike stock without any mods and just ride able and move on to my ST. I will get the stock seat reupholstered.
xj900 frame.jpg
I will cut a frame at the red line and weld a 5mm plate blue line and that will be the end of this bike

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Do you know why that seat brace is shaped like an upside down “U”?

....I do.

Reactions: woodsman

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The lousy welds on the bike and this photo tell me this "builder"(hacker) doesn't know what they are doing. The_rebuild.jpg

You don't sound like you know what you're doing. It is unlikely you will get an endorsement for chopping a motorcycle here.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why? I asked here to get help as my first build
To give the rear wheel clearance. You need that space so the tire doesn’t hit the frame under full compression. If you put a plate where your drawing indicates, you’re going to be in for a rough ride, and short tire life.

I guarantee you that the first bike you posted doesn’t get ridden much, for very long, or at any speed. The last bike you posted (messy welds aside), at least braced the tail section adequately, He also cut it short enough and kicked the top bars up to allow what looks like enough wheel travel. However, this again is a bike that won’t be ridden much...specially in what appears to be the UK. That back tire will be slinging all kinds of road grime right up the riders back. He’ll be sporting a great skunk stripe after the first puddle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So i have photo shopped this frame pic i found online please feel free to draw your suggested supports to help
xj900 frame cut 1.jpg

This are the thoughts i had

1st hoop & stepper angle support bar at start of seat
xj900 frame cut 4.jpg

2nd hoop & support meeting at the same point
xj900 frame cut 3.jpg

3rd Keep the frames the same just trim them to be center of the rear wheel, sort of the POS build XJ
xj900 frame.jpg
1993-yamaha-seca-ii-diversion-xj600-custom-dirt-fighter-cafe-racer-tracker-1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Remember Guys this was part of a package deal i got. I have found a pro welder with MIG, TIG & ARC. So nothing is impossible, i have even thought of going crazy sometimes and if it was possible to get rid of the bottom bar and reweld the shock support to the main frame like in the XJ600. Could that be and option or i would need a new swing arm & shock or can i use the same swing arm n shock ?

xj900 frame cut relo.jpg

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't believe you should be cutting parts off the frame. This POS (pile of shit) bike you just posted is ridiculous. Look at the front suspension, where are you going to ride it with 1.5" of travel? The big fat knobbies, low clip ons and rear sets? What is this things purpose? 1993-yamaha-seca-ii-diversion-xj600-custom-dirt-fighter-cafe-racer-tracker-1.JPG

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This POS (pile of shit) bike you just posted is ridiculous.
View attachment 97717
LOL. It even says POS on the tank!!!!

Kumailrashid, keep in mind the key word around here is Function, function, function. We don’t generally give a rip what a bike looks like if it is useless as a motorcycle. We want it to perform better, handle better, be better than it was. Unfortunately as a new rider, you probably don’t know enough about the bike you have to know where to start, or if anything you do would be an improvement. What we can tell you is that by starting with mods aimed solely at changing the look by hacking up the frame, you won’t “luck” into any improvement

1 - 20 of 66 Posts