Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my name is Thomas. I´m from germany. So excuse me for my bad english[:p]

A few months ago i found a old Yamaha XS 400. Build 1979. It worries my i forgot to take pics from the condition of the bike when i get it.

But here´s a pic of the modell:

I found the bike in a scruffy old hall. I shot a pic when the owner didn´t look:

Early morning next day i begann to decompose the bike and i detected the electric-starter was running:

After strip down the bike i cleaned the frame.

Now i startet to paint frameparts and tank

Then i begann to cut the frame and electroframe holders for the rear section.

Cleaning the Carburetors three times:

And do the oil change:

That´s how the bike looks with the new rear section:

And here with built in motor:

I like the oldschool look with just a rev meter, but in germany you need a speed indicator too. Now im looking for a little digital one:

I work as a mechanic, and at night shift i build me this tool to adjust the two carburetors.

Yesterday i adjust the ignition and i decide the XS is running very good. Only little problems with idle running.

And the last two pics are from today. I connected the direction indicator and the licence plate light.

So next week i hope i can do the paintjob and bring the bike to the Technical Inspection Agency soon. And i hope the say that every thing is okay.

Hope my english is understandable for you guys.

I post pics next time when i get on.

Greetings,
Thomas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pretty cool looking bike, I wanted to do an xs750 but someone beat me to it. One thing I would say though is get rid of that rear fender. Great work so far man.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Thomas, that's a great looking project. Nice workmanship. Your english is fine.
Welcome to the forum.

FR

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your nice responds.

The rear fender is requirend to run the bike on german roads. The rear wheel must covered to a certain part.

The smallest license Plate in germany is 20 x 20 cm. I don´t know what this is in inches. But my plate is exactly this dimensions.

In germany the tv show "American Chopper" from the Orange County Choppers is much popular. But most of this bike the Technical Control Board wouldn´t let run on the roads. Thats pretty uncool in germany [xx(].

Let me show you my other bike.
KTM LC4 620. Built 1996:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Pete Casper
I´ve read about the home made meter. But we have the units for my manometer at work. So it didn´t cost a cent.

@Modmonkey
Yeah i´m searching for a bicycle speedometer. But the thing in germany is, it must be lighted. And this digital speedometer ruined that oldschool look.

@Imslow
Yeah, that´s the word i found in the dictionary who describes this stupid institude ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So guys, on with the show :D

Yesterday i do the paintshop, and today i painted the exhaust.
Also i fixed the problems with the idle running.

Here are the pics:

And here with Evel Knievel memory helmet:

Also i build on this bicycle speedometer, but it´s broken. The button doesn´t works.I hope i can change it tomorrow.
And last week i crafted units to put in the fork crown:

And at end of day i grant me a good beer :D

But it need´s still yet a lot work to license the XS on german roads.

Hope you like it.

Greetings,
Thomas

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Great job Thomas, and an awesome KTM as well. I totally support your willingness to do the job. keep it up. cheers and welcome, bcr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,
yesterday i finished the painjob. Now i only need new wheels and a mirror then i hope i get a license to ride on open roads.

Greetings,
Thomas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, i´ve got it.

A few weeks ago i´ve got the license to ride on open roads.

And today i became K&N Airfilters. After build in an clean the frame triangle i do a testride. And i decide the bike is running better than ever bevore.

Here a few pics:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very nice looking bike. I cant say that im a huge fan of flat black paint jobs but your bike pulls it of very nicely. What a beautiful countryside as well. Is all of germany like that? I took German language 1 in high school and we looked at some pictures of the city but never the country. I might have to save some money and take a trip over there. Anyway great work on the bike! keep postin pictures!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks great Thomas!

Yamaha XS400s are very reliable machines if you take care of them and do routine maintenance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts