Cafe Racer Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
movers … "I'll admit I've not met Irmajiri. Known plenty of other movers though"
What does that even fucking mean, movers ?
… sounds a little like something a groupie who hangs out at race tracks in bicycle spandex hoping to service somebody famous might say, stop doing that, it oogs me out.

Anyone who thinks a motorcycle engine was designed to be a stressed frame member, simply because it is not sitting in the middle of a hoop frame, is clueless about this shit.

Au contraire, I've worked professionally with, and associated with them there "movers" , I never seek them out. In fact they usually come to me. Strange, but true.

You should consider road cycling, I find it to be very relaxing, and fitness inducing.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Been away for a while and hence work slowed up some, but the end is in sight!

The engine clean up is complete, and it's now wearing a coat of high temp satin black.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Motor vehicle Vehicle

For mostly aesthetic reasons you'll see lot's of gold titanium hardware on the motor. It looks nice, doesn't corrode, and I guess is a small nod to the lightweight aspect to this build.

In contrast, here is the initial design of the seat pan, made of old fashioned wood :). This makes it easy for the trimmer to secure the cover, and I will be removing all the centre material and just leaving a perimeter frame of wood which will lighten it up. A piece of perforated AL sheet will fill the void to support the seat foam.

Fender

Paintwork has begun on accessories too - you might have noted the coffee brown on the rocker cover and carb tops. Wheels have now been done in the same. This is a urethane base coat followed by a flat clear. Most of the bike will be done in satin and flat finishes.

Product Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Metal

Cheers,

Earlysport

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I kept the original tank, frame, tire, motor...the rest I pretty much changed. Runs really good! Pretty good little bike!
Try putting the fork tubes back where they belong. Like before it kills you, or the poor guy you sell it to.

Strange how you would throw away about the most comfortable seat ever fitted to small UJM.

I'm glad you like it, I had a puppy once. Then it killed things.

Danger, is
my business."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't bag on the 400 twin cammer. I was only able to ride a new XS400R Seca only once, for about 40 miles, but I really enjoyed it. It was a huge step up from Yamaha's previous SOHC XS400, and nowhere near as bland as Honda's CB400T. Motorcyclist Magazine went as far as dubbing it a "born again RD400." But it was a product of its era, and the forks, dampers and carburetion are all atrocious by today's standards. I thought (unlike most folks, it turns out) that the creased shapes of the engine and the sculpted bodywork were very attractive. Especially remarkable since it used the same general design language as the horrifically ugly 650 Turbo and 550 Vision. I remember it as being fun to rev and having very comfortable ergonomics. But perhaps it just reminds me of being a younger man.

View attachment 7245
I know this is a very old thread, but your response was a very well written bit of internet gold~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Must have really impressed you to want to sign up and post a response to a 7 year old thread.
Who are you again?
Must have really impressed you to want to sign up and post a response to a 7 year old thread.
Who are you again?
Ha! I had already registered and was lurking for ideas on how to knock the UGLY off the XS400 Maxim sitting in my garage. As I read through that thread, there seemed to be one guy(now banned) that just talked crap about everything the builder did. The post I responded to was well written and positive , hence the comment.
Who am I? Nobody really, just another guy with too many projects and taking on more. Couple years back I picked up a neglected but running Maxim for $200. I got it cleaned up a bit and running better, then it sat. It is time to do something cool with it, but I am too old and fat to ride hunched over, so thinking Tracker. Best I can tell, most trackers look like a Cafe Racer built to be ridden upright. As with Bobbers, I find very few people do (what I consider) a good job modding these Maxims so I am here just window shopping ideas.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts