Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about picking up a late 70's Yamaha xs650. Anybody have any opinions on those bikes. Are they fast or slow, break alot, pieces of shit, or the greatest bikes ever. I see alot of xs650 chops and I know they are popular for that scene.

I want something a little smaller than my CB and a twin, but not slow as balls. Something w/ a little ass on it. Id love to pick up a triumph but im poor.

Any info would be great.

Edited by - kawiracer on Oct 01 2007 12:58:58 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
First brand new bike I ever bought was a 1976 Yamaha XS650. I loved it, and I still love them. I thought it did everything decent. Put a lot of trouble free miles on that bike.
And I felt it went pretty good for what it was.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the xs650 is referred to a lot as the bike that triumph should have built. The earlier ones (xs1, xs2) are about as close as a jap bike can get to a brit bike without ever being built in england. 429 lbs and 53hp so it is no slouch, probably about as fast as your cb750. The only drawback to those bikes is that the chassis is not considered as good as their brit counterparts.

IF it is cheap enough, go fo it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, its pretty cheap, but its definitely a project bike. It probably wont take much to get it running well, but i would go through it over the winter.

xs1, xs2, is that like 72'73'. I thought they ran like 72'-82' or 84'.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
xs1 is the first couple of years 1969-1971 (xs-1b in 71). XS2 is 1972. After that they became the xs650.

1977 I believe is the cutoff between the first generation chassis and the second generation chassis. Pre 77 chassis parts all interchange with each other, post 77 won't work on the pre stuff and vice versa.

Avoid the specials, in honda speak these would be the "customs" or in plain english the but ugly crusier/chopper models.

euromodels had dual disc as an option, the US ones did not but can be converted easily.

I have a friend with an 1970 xs1 in yellow (my favorite by the way). IIRC he had big stator problems with this bike that ended up with him having to have it rewound at a cost of $800. The bike runs like a champ now but be leery of any XS that is not charging properly. I think stator/alternator problems on these bikes are a little more common than not.

here are some links:

http://650wiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.mikesxs.com/

http://www.650central.com/

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i found a guy who has one, but its like an 81' or 82'. He said they had electronic ignition and were "better" than the older ones. I wanted an earlier one, I guess pre 77' was what I was going for. And mikesxs.com is the shit, ive been on that site several times wishing it was mikescb.com.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there are enough cafe parts that mike sells that work for both bikes if you know the important dimensions.

for instance, see how much cool stuff over at mike's xs is for 35mm forks. certain year xs650s have 35mm forks, as do cb750s....think about that for a while.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i know. ive seen quite a few cbs from guys who have used parts from mikesxs. He just has almost everything you could want for an xs and it would be cool if there was a site online that was the same way but sold cb stuff. There are a couple, but his site is set up very well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it wasn't for 2 strokes I'd go with the 650's all the way. I cant think of a bike that can do more. there are dirtbike versions, choppers flat trackers and Cafe's. Every now and then my 2 strokes piss me off and I consider building one of these. One sweet ride..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts