Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! 馃檶

Today I started installing my new flashers in the front of the bike. Everything went fine, flahers work, perfect.
Then I started with the rear tail led strip and figuring out the corresponding wire colors.

Now the bike has 3 wires going to the tail light: black, blue and yellow (photo)
The wires of the tail light are: black (ground), white (rear light), red (brake light), (yellow + green = flashers)

Setup:
black + black(led)
yellow + red(led)
blue - white(led)

Problem 1: with this setup the braking light works fine but no normal rear light..
Problem 2: I accidentally touched black + yellow 馃槗馃槗 which gave a little spark and after that my flashers stopped working, which did work before..
I checked all the fuses and they seem fine. Also my flash indicator on the dashboard doesn't blink when I turn the switch to left or right.

Hope someone is willing to point me in some direction here 馃槵

Thanks a lot!

Registered
Check one of the lights directly to the battery to make sure the bulbs did not blow. If that works, replace the fuse.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply 2-stroke. I already replaced the signal and head fuse with the extra one provided in the fuse box.

another thing i just noticed is that when I turn on the ignition all lights on the dashboard light up for 2 seconds except the signal and head indicator. What else could be causing this if the fuses are still ok?

Registered
Diodes are easy to cook. Meter test it, diodes that work will have continuity in only one direction, that is normal for them, if you have an LED which is just a special kind of diode and it has no continuity in either direction we have a problem Houston.

Or you can cook the flasher circuit by shorting it, in which case if there are diodes inside that, there is a good chance those would cook first. :/ such is the life of a diode.

Oh and if you change a bike that is fused for incandescent lamps and use the same rated fuses to protect the new LED circuit, well that ain't gonna work so good unless there are a hell of a lot of LED bulbs on that circuit.

Registered
Important motorcycle tool,
cheap to buy,
important you know how to use one to get good results or it's a waste of time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Important motorcycle tool,
cheap to buy,
important you know how to use one to get good results or it's a waste of time.
Just ordered one online. Will have it by tomorrow.
Was just looking up some tutorials on how to check motorcycle wires with a multimeter. Any tips/vids/..? :)

Registered
Just ordered one online. Will have it by tomorrow.
Was just looking up some tutorials on how to check motorcycle wires with a multimeter. Any tips/vids/..? :)
Yes don't learn about electricity or how to use a multi meter from U-tube, use books.
For basic electronics:
Forrest M. Mims III wrote one called Getting Started in Electronics that was excellent,
in the olden days they sold it in a store called Radio Shack, I'm sure you can buy it online.

Banned
Nothing wrong with youtube as it adds a decent visual component to help learn.
Just make sure you find a trusted or well known content makers.
I will agree that there is a lot of dross uploaded with misleading or incorrect info.
It can take a while to find the gold in all the bullshit.

Best way to learn is to watch and be taught by someone with the relevant skills. Thats why the best tradesmen you meet will have had an apprenticeship.
have you not got any handy friends to show you the way over a pizza and beers?

Rule number one for the future when working on the electrics of a bike is disconnect the battery!!!!

Registered
Well I will just shut the fuck up then hahaha 馃お
Whoever wrote that explains in a nice clear and easy to understand way.
;) Same book I recommended to him above: Forrest M. Mims III - Getting Started in Electronics
The book that launched ten thousand electronics technicians.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts