Cafe Racer Forum banner

Yamaha xt660 scrambler build start

8K views 65 replies 5 participants last post by  daansteegmans 
#1 ·
Hello fellow bikers!

im starting a new project with my yamaha xt660x. I was looking for a tank that fits the bike but it seems its a super wide opening (20cm) and all my searches have a dead end until now.
does anybody know which tanks would fit the bike and/or where I can find other fitting parts for this particular bike?

Thanks a lot!
Daan

#4 ·
You made no mention of the bikes year of manufacture, I just googled yamaha xt660x and it came up with a fuel injected bike, do you have a carburetor or a fuel injected bike.
If it has fuel injection it has an electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank, tank will have a large opening to access the pump. If it has a carburetor, then it needs gravity feed to provide fuel pressure and is unlikely to have the large fuel cap opening.

#6 ·
... Yes indeed its a fuel injection system. If I want to change the tank, is my only option to swith to carburetors ...
You want to badly modify your motor to accommodate the fuel tank :|
That would be the the most absurd modification I have ever hear somebody propose on this site.

What is it you are actually trying to accomplish with the bike and why would you not just use a fuel tank that came off a fuel injected motorcycle!

#8 ·
I'm going to let you in on a little secret, you know the steel fuel tanks they put on japanese motorcycles all through the 1970's and 80's They were complete crap metal stampings made from recycled steel, they have poorly sealed seams, and almost nothing inside to deter rusting. They have poor venting and no evaporative control or recovery that complies with modern road use and most don't even look that great.

If you are going to spend crazy effort just to lose the plastic fuel tank on what amounts to a giant dirt bike that is fitted with street tires :/ at least find an aluminum fuel tank, then you won't be spending your entire future trying to filter rust particles before they enter your fuel pump and kill your injectors. Anything you find off an older motorcycle is going to be miles from correct, there are way too many features on your bike that are dependent on that weird shaped tank.

#11 ·
... one that fits on my bike...
Other then the stock one or an aftermarket one designed for that bike (and that will likely be a huge Dakar type long range desert tank meant for the dirt bike version of your bike.)
Never going to happen. You're going to have to do serious modification to anything you buy.

#10 ·
BMW K100 and K75 used an aluminum fuel tank and have fuel injection starting in 1985,
it would be a huge tank to mount on your bike, that is another issue you are going to run into. Also pricy.
Your current tank was also designed to accommodate a unique air intake and radiator.

#13 ·
Hm ok, im more looking for a less higher tank than those ones. How do you think the people in the link made it possible? Is it possible to just implant the current injection system in another tank?
They cut the entire bottom out of an old POS steel fuel tank and spent way too much time and money to make it work with brazing rod and metal scraps hammered into shape by hand, then they found a way to stick the original fuel pump inside it. They left off all the pollution control features.

Full knobby tires and zero fenders :/ are these the bikes you want to model after? They are complete crap near useless **** on the road or off. WTF would you want one of those for, doubt you'll ever get it street legal approved in Belgium unless your ministry of transport rules are very lax.

#15 ·
Highly advise you get the bike running, plate it for the road and then modify it under the radar, the bikes on pipe burn and the such are not daily rides they are art projects.

Totally understand you wanting to get rid of that plastic blob of a fuel tank, but to be honest, you are starting out with the wrong motorcycle and aiming to achieve something totally intangible.

Disclaimer: opinions expressed are from a person that rides motorcycles for all they are worth, I don't just look at them. If it doesn't function it's junk and if it needs something that is missing it is incomplete junk.

#18 ·
... my trials bikes have a 2 litre aluminum fuel tank with a fuel pump in it
:LOL: you could mount 2 of those anywhere on the bike.

Hint: Fi (Fuel injection) does not rely on gravity feed, you can carry your fuel below the injectors.
My MV F3 carries most of the fuel under the saddle.

#20 ·
there is no inspection but we do have to wear a helmet tho 😂 you guys dont? Or is that only in the US..?
I pay approx 300usd for insurance but it can be cheaper if you have been riding for maybe 25 years or so

cool man trial riding, what do you ride with? Pics? Going offtopic here tho woops

to come back to the topic: I just want to use the bike around town and I like ‘designing’a bike so I might get my hands dirty with trying to get that fi installed in another tank. Does that make me crazy?

#21 ·
Crazy to want to ride motorcycles? Not in the least, crazy not to.
Crazy to always be working on them :/ only if it's not to make them run so you can ride them again.

Helmets have been law here since very soon after I got my M license in 1971, insurance for a big motorcycle here is between $800 and upwards of $5000 if you are a risk ... I've heard of people actually paying that much, although they usually go broke fast. Vehicles are subject to mechanic inspection & certification every time they are registered to a new owner, (unless it's your kid) Street racing is not tolerated here, cops have no sense of humour.

I ride current model Montesa Trials bikes, intermediate or old guy class competition depending on how healthy I feel that day.

#24 ·
Can't help you with online purchase, the place I'll be riding at on sunday is a motorcycle scrap yard, the guy literally has hundreds of motorcycle fuel tanks. I ride trials bikes with the owner and he gives me great deals on self serve bike parts. you need a place like that.
If it didn't work i'd just go back and get a different one.

#30 ·
Just to confirm; this is the frame we are trying to fit a saddle tank on:

... I have a bad feeling that anything that just fits right on there is going to be butt ugly :|
thats the frame indeed! Yea i have been scrolling through tanks online you dont wanne know 😂 all too small at the front.. somewhere today my seat, head light, indicators and tail light should arrive 👌

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.