Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Crazy to want to ride motorcycles? Not in the least, crazy not to.
Crazy to always be working on them :/ only if it's not to make them run so you can ride them again.

Helmets have been law here since very soon after I got my M license in 1971, insurance for a big motorcycle here is between $800 and upwards of $5000 if you are a risk ... I've heard of people actually paying that much, although they usually go broke fast. Vehicles are subject to mechanic inspection & certification every time they are registered to a new owner, (unless it's your kid) Street racing is not tolerated here, cops have no sense of humour.

I ride current model Montesa Trials bikes, intermediate or old guy class competition depending on how healthy I feel that day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow thats a lot for bike insurance!

streetracing is also a crime here no worries
I do wonder why they still have no inspection for the bikes here.. anyway I dont mind

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To come back to the subject, would you know a good place where they have a broad range of tanks for sale online?

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Can't help you with online purchase, the place I'll be riding at on sunday is a motorcycle scrap yard, the guy literally has hundreds of motorcycle fuel tanks. I ride trials bikes with the owner and he gives me great deals on self serve bike parts. you need a place like that.
If it didn't work i'd just go back and get a different one.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Tell you what, I'll ride around his scrap yard on the weekend and if I see anything that looks like a Yamaha XT660 I'll try a few different fuel tanks on it and see if anything nice just kinda plops on there :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
cool, thanks man! Don't think we have such big scrap yards here in belgium.. especially not with bike parts
thanks for looking out for it! if you find something I could perhaps get it shipped somehow :)
The opening in front of the 2 tank rests is 7,8 inches or 20cm :)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
This could take a minute :|
I'll take a tape measure, a flashlight and leave a trail of bread crumbs so I can find my way back out.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Just to confirm; this is the frame we are trying to fit a saddle tank on:

... I have a bad feeling that anything that just fits right on there is going to be butt ugly :|

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
CBR250 / 300 frame shape for comparison:

... when you are looking for an alternative fuel tank look at the frame it has to sit on first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
cool, thanks man! Don't think we have such big scrap yards here in belgium.. especially not with bike parts
thanks for looking out for it! if you find something I could perhaps get it shipped somehow :)
The opening in front of the 2 tank rests is 7,8 inches or 20cm :)
Just to confirm; this is the frame we are trying to fit a saddle tank on:

... I have a bad feeling that anything that just fits right on there is going to be butt ugly :|
thats the frame indeed! Yea i have been scrolling through tanks online you dont wanne know 😂 all too small at the front.. somewhere today my seat, head light, indicators and tail light should arrive 👌

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This could take a minute :|
I'll take a tape measure, a flashlight and leave a trail of bread crumbs so I can find my way back out.

Crickey......How many nicked bikes are in there?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hmm 2L is bit little :D but that scrap shop looks like a candystore!
I talked to a friend of mine he can weld so we might get ourselves into a little tank project later on ;)
I'll keep you guys updated on the improvements!

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I found about 6 gas tanks that appeared worth trying, but sadly I could not find a match to your frame to test them on. Most of the potential candidates were Honda tanks, several dirt bikes had a frame similar to yours in shape but the tanks for those were hideous.
Small displacement Honda CBR tanks looked like the closest candidates, but you're going to need to test at least one on there to see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wow thanks for trying to find a fitting tank, appreciate it! definitely going to look into some cbr tanks to see.
I did find a tank online which should fit but I guess i'll have to order and test to really know for sure since these things have so many unforseen corners and edges which might give troubles..

So now I started installing my flash lights and rear tail led strip but I ran into some problem there as well but maybe it's better to start a new topic for that one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Is it fixed yet? ⚡
The wiring problem or the tank? ;) The tank I'm going to keep the one I have for now and just keep looking for another nice one.
The wiring problem is still present.. :( The fuses are intact. The lights itself do work. So I guess something else broke

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You probably blew the flasher relay, but since you are installing LED flashers, you most likely need to replace it with a no-load flasher relay, anyway.

Reactions: TrialsRider
21 - 40 of 66 Posts