Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You probably blew the flasher relay, but since you are installing LED flashers, you most likely need to replace it with a no-load flasher relay, anyway.
Could possible be the problem indeed. Will meter test the relay tomorrow, thanks for the reply 8ball

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You probably blew the flasher relay, but since you are installing LED flashers, you most likely need to replace it with a no-load flasher relay, anyway.
I just thought about the fact that I have a flasher relay installed and my led flashers did work fine. Does that mean its a led-suitable relay? :unsure: (the previous flashers were bulbs)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Or undiscovered bad connection. Meter can find that too.

Do you still have incandescent bulbs in the circuit? Just as an fyi That is usually enough to make things work.
... like motion sensor lights, if you put one incandescent in the circuit you can run multiple non resistor type bulb in the parallel outlets.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
You mean to find out if there is a leak?
Well there was a guy through here recently and he said he had meter tested his bike and then a while later he found a loose connection to the battery :/ a meter would find that, could not help but find that, a loose battery connection would have both measurable resistance and loss of voltage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
How can he have meter tested it if the battery wasnt even connected to the whole circuit properly? But yea I hope the meter will provide some insight tomorrow 🙏

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
re: Do you still have incandescent bulbs in the circuit?
and
"You mean to find out if there is a leak?"
No, having an incandescent bulb in the circuit acts just as adding a resistor would do, it completes the circuit in both directions so the flasher or sense circuit that needs resistance has something to work with, others systems work on time, which is also easy to do electronically.
LED is a diode, it only completes the circuit in one direction, any reverse bias energy it can not dissipate in the form of heat or light, :/ well that is going to cause it to fail.

Cool! a hummingbird :) ... those things are neat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Ok so I tested a few things, the battery has voltage (woohoow) then I tested the flasher for continuity but nothing happened. Is that normal? Perhaps the relay is in off switch? :p if that makes any sense haha. But when I turn on the ignition I hear this clicking sound (once) and it's coming from this relay unit, not sure if it should be happening.

This is the flasher relay I tested on continuity by unplugging the plug and connecting the 2 metal pins inside it.

According to this diagram, the first black box is the general relay unit and the one with the yellow sticker is the turn signal/hazard relay.
What does the normal relay control..?

Cheers!
Daan

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The main relay (the first one in your pics) has all the safeties feeding into it.,.. clutch lever switch, kickstand switch, neutral switch, etc. it won’t allow you to start the bike with it in gear with the kick stand down. If that isn’t working, the bike won’t start or run.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The main relay (the first one in your pics) has all the safeties feeding into it.,.. clutch lever switch, kickstand switch, neutral switch, etc. it won’t allow you to start the bike with it in gear with the kick stand down. If that isn’t working, the bike won’t start or run.
Ok then that box is not the problem. I can still start the bike without any problems.
I checked all the main fuses again with the meter and they are all fine. The handlebar signal switch wires seem fine inside. I also tried skipping the signal relay and connecting the 2 wires going in. No result there either. So strange, they did work until I I touched the + & - of the rear tail light. :oops:

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Do we have a wiring schematic for this bike? That's always the best place to start,
meter just gives you numbers and the wiring diagram is the vital road map, without it you are going to get lost.

You have a meter now, just seeing continuity or some voltage doesn't mean **** you need to look at the actual numbers. What is the exact battery voltage at the terminal and what is the exact voltage reading after it has gone through 4 feet of wire and 3 connectors?
.... here is a little meter operator test for you, take a resistance reading of your hand. Your skin has measurable resistance because the human body contains so much water, we don't just have continuity we have resistance. That's also why electricity can kill us :|

Once you know how to use a meter you won't need to be saying "wires seem fine" you'll be saying resistance is zero and the voltage output is the same as the battery.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
WTF did they ever screw up that PDF :| I'll try to fix it.

.... oh I get it now, there is one diagram for the fuel injection circuit and another wiring diagram for the entire bike on the last page.

It's also a supplementary service manual, there must be another full service manual somewhere, although this one should do it for the diagram they don't show any meter testing being done in this manual, full manual will have some of that covered.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Did you know your bike has 4 way flashers? I haven't seen that ever, must be a Euro thing.
Do you mean to turn on all flashers at the same time? Yes we do use it, you don't have this?? We use it to warn other drivers that they should pay extra attention. for example, when you are driving way slower than others on the highway for some reason :)

So I guess I'll start testing all the wires? 😓

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Do you mean to turn on all flashers at the same time? Yes we do use it, you don't have this?? We use it to warn other drivers that they should pay extra attention. for example, when you are driving way slower than others on the highway for some reason :)

So I guess I'll start testing all the wires? 😓
Yep, we don't have that, only on cars. (there might be exceptions that I have not seen)
Motorcycles here normally only have a parking light front & rear and that has to work for 20 minutes off a battery.

We call them emergency flashers, you are not suppose to drive or ride with them on, or the guy behind is going to get very upset with you and be yelling and screaming: What's the *** emergency! Pull over or shut that blinking **** off!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yep, we don't have that, only on cars. (there might be exceptions that I have not seen)
Motorcycles here normally only have a parking light front & rear and that has to work for 20 minutes off a battery.

We call them emergency flashers, you are not suppose to drive or ride with them on, or the guy behind is going to get very upset with you and be yelling and screaming: What's the emergency! Pull over or shut that blinking * off!
😂

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Meter test the output from your original flasher relay, it might even work,
Sadly I suspect you fried the aftermarket one.

... Logically your original flasher unit would work off of time and not resistance, otherwise your 4 ways would potentially flash at a different rate then the turn signals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Meter test the output from your original flasher relay, it might even work,
Sadly I suspect you fried the aftermarket one.

... Logically your original flasher unit would work off of time and not resistance, otherwise your 4 ways would potentially flash at a different rate then the turn signals.
I got it! There was another fuse called ‘park’ outside the box. This one was blown! They are working again ✊✊ at first i didnt look at this one cuz i read ‘spark’ instead of park and the engine was running so thought it would be intact anyway 😅Weird yamaha has one fuse called 'signal' grouped with all the others and then one outside the box called 'park' which is signals and park light.. :unsure:

Thanks a lot for the help so far guys!

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Seen that on the schematic (y) trouble-shoot stuff about 700 more times and you will be a motorcycle electrics trouble-shooting expert.

... and you know what the spark was, you sent the hot wire straight to ground.
It's rated at 10 amps for the original signals, how much do your new signals draw?

give you a hint: watts is equal to amps times volts.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts