Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, I've been running my CB450 CR450 motor to break it in and since I'm mostly done with it, I'm starting on this. I live in Riverside CA and there is some racing to be done around here? Since I'm also retired now and finally have time I want to get back into it some. I built up a 1972 Yamaha DT1 and tried in the Elsinore Grand Prix back in 2014 (when I turned 60 years old) I entered the old guy race but I crashed out on the motocross course, probably would have been a great U tube video? No to give up, I found a local track where they race flat track (old Perris Raceway) they also have an old guy class so I figure, why not. I've been picking on E-bay and come up with plenty of parts so here's my plan, most of the bikes they race run 19" tires because of the tread restrictions and 19" are the only good tire option, price wise? They also usually run big Dia. street bike forks, the rest is pretty much just shave off as much weight as you can and make the most power you can? I thought to do a cl450 but I think the 250 would be more reasonable for a first try. So here's what I got; A YDS2 motor with alloy cylinders , TD1 pipes (copied from the plans in a book article, a YDS6 frame and RD250 swing arm, YZ250 wheels, TT350 triple clamps (41mm) and GSX600 (41mm) fork tubes. I will need to shorten the forks at least 4" to make it work or else find a different set that fits better? I'll need to work that out first. I'm also doing a SL100 at the same time, my 12 year old nephew wants to try with me, he rides a KX100 and his folks are into it. Here's a few photos;

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Nice bikes but, You're old, you should be riding a modern trials bike if you want to ride in competitions, it won't beat you up near as bad, you will have way more fun and your heart is less likely to blow up doing it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In this class, they run a spool front wheel, with rear brake only. If the motor is 100cc or smaller they let you run most any tire so the Honda will run 18" wheels, XL175 in rear and CB200 front, I might get the shouldered alloy rims for it if my nephew get serious? I'll try 20/80, dual sport tires on the Honda and see how they work? The Yamaha will probably run the Shinko flat track tires. The gas tank was an old e-bay buy, it was really taco'd on the L/H side and I pounded it out as best as I could and bondoed it to get it close enough to pass. If it was a real nice one I wouldn't use it on a track bike. I got what you said, if I really get into it I might do a newer bike? I really like the old air cooled stuff!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also they have a class for old guys on old bikes so that's what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Just keep this in mind if everything else seems a little too hard on you; modern trials bike only weigh 140 to 160 pounds and everything that can hit you is shrouded in plastic :| other then the footpegs, those are like little chainsaws, so you have to keep your boots on the footpegs. and in trials events, they might run to your assistance, but nobody is going to run you over.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, trials might be better for me and fun too, I used to dessert ride and hill climb mostly, but I really like the flat track right now and the race track is only 5 miles away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts