Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Not sure what's being blasphemed here, the frame? But you're right it looks good. I'm guessing it's a Virago engine in a custom frame...
Nice.

FR

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
TR1 motor (chain drive Virago essentially) in a featherbed. Sweeeet!
There's a cat here in town that's selling one and I saw a pic somewhere of one that really kinda had a Vincent look to it...lemme see if I can find the pic......
http://www.tr1.de/
go to the gallery section and scroll down...there's several cool builds

any further pics of this one?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
with the vast number of featherbed reproductions available I am not really sure how blasphemous this is. I thought god created the featherbed frame just to stick different engines into.

looks like a smaller star engine to me (650cc v-star engine) but I don't really know what a virago engine looks like anymore.

BTW, anybody else notice that yamaha mover the v-max over to the star line for this year? WTF?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl

i have never really been a fan of swiss cheese, but besides that, the bike is amazing.
then I guess you aren't a pontiac fan since they had whole cars made out of the stuff.......

.....sorry, a little obscure gearhead humor.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Someone say Swiss Cheese.... you mean like my 62 421 Catalina?
That's a lie of course.

I'm no engineer...but, although that bike looks hella cool. That frame looks like it would hinge right under the motor. Feather Bed was in not intended to have those bottom tubes removed and the engine used as a stressed member. That front engine mount looks way too spindly. I think you'd crack it under the tank eventually. Tough to tell in the photo how much gusseting was done. If he had bent and patched in tubes to go around the bottom of the engine I'd say it would be fine.

But then it does appear to be a race bike, so maybe it's strong enough.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I was looking at that part, too. But my objection to those missing tubes is mostly aesthetic.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
that is really nice looking
there are no lights and looks like a number on the front but maybe they are just posing at whatever track that is.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think it's a lot less blasphemous than putting a unit Triumph (those look like crap in a Fbed), or really any most any vintage Brit engine in one, perhaps a Vincent and a few others being the exceptions

and would result in a bike you can actually beat the snot out of without having to spend 3-5K making the engine somewhat NASCAR reliable

The Norton has it all over a Triumph for many reasons and both shake like angry jackhammers on roids

I've had a HD flatty in a Fbed for years now, currently have three with HD Vtwins

funny, no hilarious, would be the reaction it got when it was posted on BB.com years ago

talk about some thin skinned weenies

I thought Pontiac rods were made of 5900 rpm Colby Jack

anyhow, I'd own that bike and ride it too but why the skinny fork tubes?

is it legal to race in any vintage classes?

surely not with reservoir shocks, disc brake?, and OHC engine

I'd also have made the bottom cradle tubes removable ala Moto Guzzi

I hope he really braced that chicken neck frail headstock with a real backbone

the foot pegs are too far forward and the swing arm is too long

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
and that is a 920cc engine? all them yamahas look alike to me so if you told me it was 1100 I'd have to go study before I could argue wit you

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
nothing like running a few errands like getting a sixpack and a new sawzall blade, knowing that the bike frame in the barn is about to get hacked. cool bike. nice find rosko.
bcr

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If I remember correctly the TR1 is a 1000cc....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'd like to have one of those engines

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the tr1 was sold in this country as the xv920 (920ccs I think it is the RJ model). if there was a 1000 cc chain drive verison sold I don't think we got it in the states.

What is neat about them is the fully encolsed chain. they are rare bikes for sure.

BTW, I think those spindly forks are ceraini forks. Look to be about 35mm too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is a very cool looking machine!

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

with the vast number of featherbed reproductions available I am not really sure how blasphemous this is. I thought god created the featherbed frame just to stick different engines into.

looks like a smaller star engine to me (650cc v-star engine) but I don't really know what a virago engine looks like anymore.

BTW, anybody else notice that yamaha mover the v-max over to the star line for this year? WTF?
Yamaha wants ALL it's cruiser and muscle style bikes under the Star name and it's sport/dirt bikes left under the Yamaha name. When the NEW V-Max comes out it will most likely have a Star name on it like the Warrior does.

It makes more sense for Yamaha to put the V-Max over on the Star side than the sport/dirt bike side.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
String him up by his nuts and beat him with a baseball bat! I don't care about the Yam but to cut up a featherbed!!! And a wideline at that! A Harley in a featherbed looks great. I have only seen photos of a Sporter, a Knucklehead and a flathead in featherbeds and they all look good. But to saw up a wideline!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts