Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
that 80's square head light makes it look dated and heavy.A styling-Q they picked up on,in this new preposal.They mirrored the wheels with a modern lighter twist.But over all if they build it ....IT WILL SELL.
Its always amazing to me, gas tanks, modern ones, are really a cover for electronics,injection and airbox intakes and a small miss shaped fuel cell.I think its a good thing because it at least still looks like a bike.Imagine the big with out the tank look baring the tank as it actually is.
And on the other hand maybe they should,leave the tank cover off, so they can whittle down the other components

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The cb1100R's had gold anodized engine covers. One of the years, I forget which one, even had magnesium covers (although this might have been a works thing and only on a few production bikes).

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
love that oil cooler vent. if the oil wasnt air cooled....well....

i was gonna say magnesium. really. i was.

kurt liebmans hrc cb750 superbike we had at the shop had magnesium engine cases and oil sump. thats right, a real deal hrc 750 lived in that dump for years. it looked almost new. even had a 1981 ama tech sticker still on it.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I was hoping for magnesium too. My RC has mag engine covers, valve covers etc. Exciting in 2000... common place now. Now Honda is using a kind of muted green/gold color on their mag parts... I like the gold color on that old CBR better.

Nice to see an air cooled modern sport bike. I guess they have their reasons these days...but for the most part water cooling just seems like another thing to worry about and another gauge to watch. I'd just soon the engine get hot, have no water, no gauge and I live in ignorant bliss. A bit of oil cooling is the best answer. The RC has two radiators and an oil cooler and a lot of other crap I've never even thought of taking apart. Simple is better.

And yes I'm still liking the bike more every time I look at it.
JohnnyB

PS. Of course that bike is WAY too cool to ever be sold in the US.

Edited by - jbranson on Sep 21 2007 5:14:21 PM

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
I was hoping for magnesium too. My RC has mag engine covers, valve covers etc. Exciting in 2000... common place now. Now Honda is using a kind of muted green/gold color on their mag parts... I like the gold color on that old CBR better.

Nice to see an air cooled modern sport bike. I guess they have their reasons these days...but for the most part water cooling just seems like another thing to worry about and another gauge to watch. I'd just soon the engine get hot, have no water, no gauge and I live in ignorant bliss. A bit of oil cooling is the best answer. The RC has two radiators and an oil cooler and a lot of other crap I've never even thought of taking apart. Simple is better.

And yes I'm still liking the bike more every time I look at it.
JohnnyB
PS. Of course that bike is WAY too cool to ever be sold in the US.
Yeah, Not sure if Mg needs paint or not. I like a little touch of the gold without being overstated, as well; it's nicer to look at than the neutral greenish metalic that I've seen Honda use for the Mg sidecovers for their thumpers.

You never know, if there's enough interest, one of these bikes could make its way stateside. I wonder if there's a way to lobby American Honda for such a thing...hmm...

I also agree with you 100% on the air cooled engine thing. Not just for mechanical complexity, for aesthetics, too! I just love seeing as little crap as possible on a bike. I'm coming from a street/dirt tracker's perspective, but I think there's a strong overlap with the cafe world in that regard. Minimalism really matters to us in a way. That bike's engine might be straight out of 1981 technology, but I think that was maybe the last couple years of engines that interest me anymore.

Fuel Injection? Nah, no thanks. And liquid cooling's not my thing either. Everyone ballyhoos the old honda hawk 650's from the late '80s. Nice 650 twin. But man, if they only made that pup air cooled!

I don't even like e-start, but I suppose you have no choice with a big engine. (600cc singles, however...).

Ah, Luddites united,

Adam

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Anybody notice the stock exhaust cans even kinda look like early 80s DOHC Supersport megaphones?

At least they didn't go too far in creating a faithful, modern interpretation of Comstars.

Speaking of big retros (which I'm all about), how's the ZRX selling these days?

Honda go sideways!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hehe... I second the comstar comment. We can do without those.

After owning a couple of injected sport bikes... I gotta say, get past the technology and it's a pretty simple setup, easier and simplier than carbs in many ways, not so in other ways. Easy to modify...just add a box and program away, smaller and less complex than carbs (mechanically anyway). The down side is there is no "side of the road" fix if something goes wrong. But most systems have a "limp home" mode now, where even if there is a major failure they will get you home.

I can live with the 100+ hp of modern air cooled bikes...don't necessarily need the 160hp of a water cooled bike.
JohnnyB

PS. STILL liking the bike more every time I see it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

Speaking of big retros (which I'm all about), how's the ZRX selling these days?

Honda go sideways!
It's not. Kawasaki had a choice of redesigning the ZRX or killing it off an chose to kill it off. Hasn't been in production since 2005. For a retro bike, Kawasaki redid the Zephyr to look more like the Z1 (including the paint) and decided not to bring it to this country.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'll never understand the American market.

One guess I have is that credit here in the States has long made new bikes too easy to get for the average customer. Why go "retro" when you can have the "latest thing" after an hour or so in the showroom?

But, then, I bought an '07 Mustang. Retro as hell and selling like mad.

Or, look at the Harley thing for the past 10 to 15 years. Some of their most popular models are retro and have sold well.

We ride our old bikes around town and complete strangers come up and compliment us, yet a (in my opinion) totally legit bike like the ZRX flops and this new F has a slim chance of getting sold here.

Go figure.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
that is the downside to a disposable culture, that old bikes are not widely appreciated and therefore retro does not sell well in return. It is not only easy to buy a new bike, but it is also easy to trade tht bike in every year for another new bike without ever paying one of them off.

I think the graduated licensing system and huge gas prices play a big part of europe's retro bike appreciation. There, older bikes are more accessible than new 1000cc killrockets and so you get a wider audience exposed to the expirence of owning an older bike. Plus it is more accepted to be a motorcycle rider in europe, here in the states there is a good chance that you will run into some one who will want to socially castigate you for your dangerous behavior and reckless ways - you know, because all badasses ride broken down cb200s and you are no better than a hells angel.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I had a ZRX . . . 2002. It was great till they stuck those 4 stupid cans on the back. Just dumb looking
s

·
Registered
97 Posts
Geeto, I think it's funny how you mentioned that some people still treat you like a pariah if you ride. I recently moved to a new neighborhood. I was walking my dog a couple of days ago and stopped and was chatting with a new neighbor for a few minutes. That was untill I mentioned which house I am living in. She froze apologised that she couldn't talk anymore and explained that she couldn't be my friend because she had seen me moving in bikes. She was dissapointed that there were now bikers in her neighborhood.(the bikes at my house= Honda CT70, Honda CL360, Cushman Highlander, and my dad stopped by on his '47 Indian) Now she avoids eye contact any time I see her out in her yard and won't talk to me. So I make it a point to buzz her house every time I go out on the Cushman. Oh well, this was off topic but if it makes you feel any better I keep checking this thread over and over because I get wood everytime I see that 1100r concept.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
who doesn't....that cb1100r is wood worthy.

It never ceases to amaze me that a country with arguably one of the best education systems in the world has so many people (across the wide social spectrum) that are just ignorant dumbasses.

Before I got branded a social misfit for bikes I was branded a Whiskey Tango misfit for cars (my GTO). A big problem with this county is we sell things based on images so that when people have to go interact with other people they just look at their stuff, get a mental image of what kind of person would by that stuff, and then make judgements as to who you are, without really getting to know you. If those consumerist assholes pulled their head out of their asses for 2 minutes they would realize that some things are just fun to do regardless of what people thing of you (sex is the biggie in that department, motorcycles second).

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
chuck,

you should organize local rides and use your house as a starting point. re: your neighbor......average isn't smart!

tex

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Tex, call it. Pit bike mafia will show up and donut her yard to hell until she realizes the errors of her ways. We'll burn Cee U Next Tuesday in her yard.

When I ride my dirtbike (yes, its street legal) and people yell at me for riding down a road near their house, I turn around and talk to them. Funny how they calm right down. I tell them I'm doing the speedlimit, show them the plate... Then I tell them to have a nice day and ride off. When I come across horses on the trails, I turn the bike off and pull way off the trail to not freak them out. If people still want to be a dick then, well hey it's their life. Go ahead and be angry because I don't really give a fuck.

Whenever I test my racebikes in the neighborhood (first or second gear, nothing fast, just seeing if they run), one of my fucktard neighbors always call the cops. I've been pretty lucky so far, as I've just put the bike in the garage and the door is closing when the cruiser drives by. But they seem to have no problem having parties until 2am with all kinds of underage drinking. I drag all the beercans out of the woods in my frontyard and dump them in their driveway at 7am.

When blasting down country roads, I always wave to people in their yards or walking down the road. Just a friendly squid riding 30 over the limit past your house!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You should have tossed her to the ground...then sodomized her. As befitting the behaviour of any decent biker.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you want really good revenge...wait until she goes out of town and then seed her lawn with dog and cat food. Espically the flower beds. Make sure you only put the food near the front door and leave ample room on the lawn for what comes next...

Her house will become the center for every animal in the neighborhood. They will get so comfortable there she will have cats, dogs, squirrels, racoons, just hanging out on her stoop when she goes to leave her house. Plus the smell sucks.

now why only get the food close to the front door? well the animals will leave steaming piles everywhere, espically after eating that wet canned stuff. housepet dung burns holes in the grass too - it isn't a good fertalizer.

The best part is...unless she spots the food she will thing god has blighted her for wrongdoings in her life. didn't you know the 9th plague was animal shit.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Ok thats funny...

When I picked up my RS50 from Tex a few years back, we got there before Tex did. While sitting on his stoop, a dog came over to his neighbors house, hopped the fence, took a dump, and left. Hilarious.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts