Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey folks

i've been here a while looking over stuff, never posted until the other day. there are interesting things going on, in interesting directions as well. this post was over in the introduce yourself section, but was waiting approval for three days. appears moderation is a bit inactive? so i put it here instead.

what exactly is this place? been around a long time. looks like the focus is in serious performance, rather than blog-post cafe chop jobs. that's okay with me.

i see a mixture of road racers, track machines, street machines modified to various performance levels, occasional beautiful vintage racers, and so on. plus a higher level of knowledge about some specific things i'm interested in than i have. that's useful for me, maybe not so much for anybody else. plus there's occasional posts about old british stuff.

they're dinosaurs, but personally that's what interests me the most. my first motorcycle was a 1962 triumph 500 that was called a trophy but in hindsight seemed to have significantly earlier parts grafted on. that was long ago in a different world near the equator, so i'll never know. right now i'm looking for 4 more mph out of a 65 bonneville land speed bike that i race in maine (and maybe soon in arkansas), which has required me to try to develop some skills and knowledge i didn't have before. to stay busy in between i'm building a medium-intensity weekend track bike out of bits and parts left over from that. in the meantime i fart around with some slow and noisy triumphs and BSAs and a reasonably nice commando. when i can't get the british stuff to run right i have a tube-frame buell that always starts and goes quicker and faster than the primitive machines but isn't as interesting.

i'm interested in the track bike build because even though i've been riding motorcycles for close to fifty years i'm not anywhere near as good on the pavement as i want to be. if i live long enough there's a possibility of building and racing a flat track machine, but that's just hand waving right now.

got an EX250 ninja that my daughters rode into the books on, open records both of them but you have to start somewhere. last year they were bouncing off the rev limiter at 14,000 and 103, so afterwards i dropped two teeth on the rear sprocket, didn't change anything else. this year they didn't hit the limiter but there was a side wind from hell that kept their speeds down to the same 103. if i can keep them engaged maybe they'll break the overall, 107 mph, i think

pleased to meet you.

my name is kevin, by the way

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Kevin. Great to meet you.

I see you over at Britbike.com. Get that thing together and on the track. The AHRMA Triumph guys are great and will help any way they can.

New schedule is out!

You'll have a blast.

Al - AHRMA#187

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This board used to be a lot more active than it is now and yes, it's in no way like that other "tonnage" board. But a lot of the really talented people have drifted away since it was sold to the current owner(s). The bones are still here, but the muscle is fading.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Kevin. Great to meet you.

I see you over at Britbike.com. Get that thing together and on the track. The AHRMA Triumph guys are great and will help any way they can.

New schedule is out!

You'll have a blast.

Al - AHRMA#187
lol

i can't hide anywhere. did you keep your 175? the little stuff is cool -- all skill and no horsepower to make up for antything. i was of two minds about actually competing with this old bonneville bitsa, but i suppose i have no choice. mid-ohio is just an hour or two away.

right now i'm going through the pieces to see what i need. ithe motor is starting from bare 1967 cases, so the threads are all CEI, or should be. i don't think they mixed any BSF in there. the head is 69 and heavens knows where the rocker boxes came from. crank and gearbox are 1970, and i'll put a primary drive from boxers of mismatched junk. the most expensive single items would be rods, pistons, and a magneto. i'm hoping to keep the rods, else i'll go with new MAP steel ones. the crank has been balanced for aluminum, but if it works halfway decently i'll live with it.

i guess i can't run that old BSA roadrace fairing if i' put the bike in classic 60s. i bought that for my streetbike but decided to race it instead. maybe i'll put it on the LSR and run it in for MPS-650/4

always seems when i have time i have no money, and when i have money i have no time. but this machine has been waiting a long time

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This board used to be a lot more active than it is now and yes, it's in no way like that other "tonnage" board. But a lot of the really talented people have drifted away since it was sold to the current owner(s). The bones are still here, but the muscle is fading.
hey farmer

i can see that it has that awkward vertical scope platform. at least i can see more than two lines of content at a time though, unlike some others. i am not a fan of this format, but it is what it is.

in my experience forums have finite lifetimes, and the activity can ebb and flow. mostly they seem to have a single peak, unless they build a huge membership or something drives new traffic to them. then they can survive people leaving because enough new ones come in to compensate. but even without that there's always something to be learned.

on some of the older forums i've learned as much reading through old posts by people who have been dead for years than i learn from the living ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts