Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... rode to class Thursday, properly equipped. As the title suggests... blah, blah (trying to be very discreet).

My question is this: Is a race helmet only a race helmet, or do you racing guys ride on & off track with the same lid? Am I supposed to keep the race helmet on a shelf, safe until I get meself to the track?

Also, Given a task by a particular new acquaiantance recently, I must confess... I have no idea who you are! I met tons of new folks, all of whom were introduced by 2 names - their real name & their caferacer handle...

I know you by face, but you really need to e-mail me. I need info.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
My first helmet was both since it was the only one I had. As the snell standard changes and we're required to get new ones the retired race helmet becomes the new street helmet, or given to a friend in need. I tend now to get the most basic one for the track just in case it gets smashed.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
My first helmet was both since it was the only one I had. As the snell standard changes and we're required to get new ones the retired race helmet becomes the new street helmet, or given to a friend in need. I tend now to get the most basic one for the track just in case it gets smashed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I try to always have 2 serviceable helmets, one track, one street. I bring the street helmet to the races as a backup in case of a mishap that the bike survives but the helmet doesn't.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I try to always have 2 serviceable helmets, one track, one street. I bring the street helmet to the races as a backup in case of a mishap that the bike survives but the helmet doesn't.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think Judey's talking to me - although I've been wrong before.... Sending email now. And in case it doesn't go through:

diamondjaydub AT optimum DOT net

Jim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think Judey's talking to me - although I've been wrong before.... Sending email now. And in case it doesn't go through:

diamondjaydub AT optimum DOT net

Jim

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like to use a full face helmet with the flip up front for the street, so I can put it on while wearing my glasses. Of course the race helmet can't have the flip up feature, so it is for racing only--I have a special pair of glasses I can put on after the helmet is on just for racing too.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like to use a full face helmet with the flip up front for the street, so I can put it on while wearing my glasses. Of course the race helmet can't have the flip up feature, so it is for racing only--I have a special pair of glasses I can put on after the helmet is on just for racing too.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I've always thought that you would want the best possible helmet in case of a mishap on the track. And it seemed to make the most sense that you'd also want the best possible helmet in case of a mishap on the street. So I use the same helmet both on the track and the rare times that I ride on the street.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I've always thought that you would want the best possible helmet in case of a mishap on the track. And it seemed to make the most sense that you'd also want the best possible helmet in case of a mishap on the street. So I use the same helmet both on the track and the rare times that I ride on the street.

Craig

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Nothing says "conspicious consumer" as much as a guy with two helms - one for the street and one for the track. Now granted I have two helms, one for dirt riding and one for riding super slow on the track, but that's as far as I go. As well, I get bored with my racing hat after one season and like to get a new one each year. I like the way new ones smell too. I buy online and get super nervous that a mail order bucket won't fit right and will distract me from going super slow on the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts