Cafe Racer Forum banner

"...you like dags?"

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  fuzzybutt 
#1 ·
"oh...do i like dawgs? yeah, i like dags"

i'm looking into getting a weimaraner puppy. can anybody offer opinions, comments, stories, experiences with or about 'em. anybody ever owned or currently owns one?

there's gotta be some dog people up in here.

"...if this ain't a mess, it'll do 'til a mess gets here."

#5 ·
Catboy,
I'm confused. "Catboy" seeking dog advice? I see a real Pandora's box here. This'll be 47 pages long before it's done. In my experience there are three subjects that can get touchy when dispensing advice. Wives, Kids, and Dogs. Having hunted upland birds for the past ten years or so, with a lot of different dogs; first off, do you plan to hunt with this dog or is it just going to be a pet? I'm prepared to chime in with all kinds of opinions.

Leo

#6 ·
puss-man
just a bit of oppinionated and somewhat informed info....the weimies have been very popular for the last decade or so which (wegman) has made many of them a very nervous type. the breed is high strung (and beautiful i might add) naturally but the puppy farm thing has not done a good thing for them (or any other breed). a narrowing of the gene pool tends to yield some less desireable traits. have known a few who didn't work out.. at best, he/she will need acreage or LOTS of leash time. at worst, you might end up with a nippy, neurotic, pain in the ass who wants more than than you can offer.
-parks
ps. i had a german short haired pointer (which is a close cousin) who was a one in a life time great dog for me. really smart, great disposition, a lot of fun, and a loyal friend.

#9 ·
quote:
i shouldn't say what i just said
-parks

Edited by - parks61 on Jan 31 2008 9:02:10 PM

Awww... I didn't catch it before you edited it. Ya know, forums like this make it hard to stick to my annual new years resolution to stop being an asshole. You having the same problem?

Dogs... go to a rescue, get a puppy. A mutt will be a healthier dog that anything put out by the AKC registered puppy farms. Cheaper too.

#12 ·
here are my two rescue dogs....weims. got the first one when he was 5 and the other about a year later at 13 mo.. if you can live with constant destruction for the first two years and can handle vigilant training they make great companions. hell they even helped build my race bike.

after a while they only look like this:

scott from chicago
(really slow guy in an orange shirt)

#14 ·
I always reccomend the book "No Bad Dogs" by B. Woodhouse to any dog owner.
I got the book when I got my last dog, Princess. I saved her from the pound 19 yrs ago and she was the best dog I have had (IMHO- she was a better dog because I was a better owner). The book helps you understand how a dog thinks and how to work with it instead of against it. If you've seen me on other message boards, you probably think I'm the "No Bad Dogs" book pimp because I reccomend the book to everybody who owns a dog.
I ended up having to put Princess down last year at the ripe old age of 18. On that same day my new dog, Grace, showed up at the pound and has been in our home for almost a year, and all is fine. Same G. Shepard/ Doby mix as Princess and looks the same.
I also reccommend the pound/rescue for a new dog. It's cheaper and if you just need a pet, you cant go wrong. Most rescues offer a 30 day money back/exchange program so if it doesn't work out.
DG

#15 ·
yep, i'm working with a local weim rescue and i'm looking at a 6 month old male.

though not a hunter, i'm extremely active outdoors with a variety of different hobbies and fully understand that a tired dog, is a good dog. (only it seems weims tire much slower than others!). but with this dog, i'm also very interested in getting into advanced obedience and agility training...i grew up around lots of it and although i'm good at developing basic obedience skills, i want to take it a little further and do some cool shit.

thanks for all the replies.

"blame it on the web, but the spider's your problem now."

#17 ·
quote: RIGHT ON! I knew you'd be there for that! i'd like to meet your jadded cranky ass. you gonna be at road america?

i took you as a kitty-cat kinda guy.
although I sorta have a cat now, I have always been a dog person and grew up with golden retrievers....

not that anybody cares, I just like being a smartass.

Don't know if I am going to be at road america yet. Probably not with the way work is going.

#18 ·
#20 ·
all my cats but one are rescues, with one being rescued from the seminole county shelter the day he was supposed to be gassed. the horse i lost this past june was rescued from the slaughterhouse. weimerauners......the 2 i knew were as dumb as a bag of hammers lol.

fat people are harder to kidnap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.