Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of original Z1 900 exhaust that have been hanging in the shed for 40 years. Is there any where that I can have them restored. The local chrome shop in Austin told me the inside of the mufflers would contaminate the tanks so they will not touch them. There must be a way to get them restored. Has anyone had this done?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The chromers are right. Only a mob that is prepared to contaminate their tanks would do the job. That idea hardly fills me with confidence in any thing else they may do.

- Like chroming pipes right.

Personally I'd chrome strip them and VHT black paint them or some ceramic coating. Like the early US racing superbikes with four pipes.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have a set of original Z1 900 exhaust that have been hanging in the shed for 40 years. Is there any where that I can have them restored. The local chrome shop in Austin told me the inside of the mufflers would contaminate the tanks so they will not touch them. There must be a way to get them restored. Has anyone had this done?
Same thing happened to me with an old Bultaco exhaust..........they wouldn't do it because of the inside. I went back and cleaned them with gas then a heavy degreaser. It was messy and it took me a while to do. I then took back and they did kinda reluctantly chromed it..........probably cause I take so much stuff there t o do.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Mirror finish powdercoat.
There is no Mirror finish powder that is close to chrome look. It gets close without clear but has to be cleared to prevent corrosion of the powder, it loses about 20% of it's pop when cleared. Plus standard Mirror Powder won't hold up long on exhaust pipes. If rechrome is out of the question JetHot ceramic is the closest you're going to get to chrome. If you think chrome is expensive now wait till next year when the new EPA regulations on venting the chemical tanks goes into effect and half the chromers out there will be closing doors due to the costs of the upgrades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts