Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know about these guys? i was looking for some inspiration my '62 honda dream boardtracker (wtf?) and stumbled across their site. i think i'm in love.

luckily, i'm going to japan in june and i'm going to check out their stuff. got any ideas where i should go and what i should see? i know to take lots of money i don't have...they have sick bike parts, clothes, shoes, electronics, magazines....

http://www.zerochop.com

·
Registered
896 Posts
oh yeah zero is my hero.........you should also check out Young Choppers, they are know for hot rods but have recently done some of the nicest harley customs i've ever seen....almost makes me want to get a harley....almost.....

"Ride Fast and Take Chances"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check out Chica customs. I think its one of the Zero guys in California. They use the goose neck frames and put clubmans on bikes with forward controls. The Japanese enjoy sore backs.

http://www.chicacustomcycles.com

PS.
Im still alive and they were 996's

Edited by - brentadour on Apr 23 2004 7:07:57 PM

Edited by - brentadour on Apr 23 2004 7:11:11 PM

Edited by - brentadour on Apr 23 2004 7:13:03 PM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chikor,

thanks for the link; these guys are on the ball, and not too far from here. road trip time.

didn't mean to take it off topic but these bikes seem to me to be the precursor to 60s and later era cafe racers. that would be boardtrackers eh?

why do you say almost want a harley, almost? i'd love one, at least pre 1955 or so. they are ungodly expensive tho, so for now it's the honda dream with no front fender and no seat....

·
Registered
896 Posts
well if i were to get an old american bike it would have to be a 1927 Indian Scout....otherwise i'm not interested......as for the precursor to cafe racers? you need to look at england not america.....cafe racers started to shoe them selves in the 50's....the bikes you speak of are bobbers and they are the precursoe to choppers, vets came back from overseas and tried to get back into racing but the rules of racing were not agreeing with them so they started "outlaw" racing clubs....that is were the trem outlaw biker comes from, they were racing outside the laws of the sanctioned races.....the cafe racer was not going against the racing laws of the time they were building custom speed machines to have fun on the street with.....a whole different thing, but don't get me wrong i love the bobber style bike......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah, good points. maybe i should have clarified my statement. if we were to look at the post-war guys you were talking about, indeed many of them were wannabe racers. they cut stuff off their ex-mil machines and went-a-speedin, outlaw style...on bobbers. choppers were an extension of that but they were usually made for aesthetic reasons and not necessarily performance.

i guess the connection in my head comes from the fact that both bobbers and cafe racers were originally attempts to build the lightest, fastest streetbike imaginable, not necessarily abiding by the law with regards to safety constraints and using what you could find from other bikes, but in the case of bobbers, other place altogether...be it house door handles, old tools, cars etc.

from that point, i guess they diverge. it was a different set of folks and they had different intentions but im sure the cafe guys may have been influenced somewhat by both real race bikes from different periods (as early as the teens) as well as bobbed ex-mils. i could be wrong.

either way, they all rock. and you're right, indians from that period are indeed something lots of folks want to get their hands on. i wouldnt mind having one in the garage.

·
Registered
896 Posts
point well taken amd made....i am currently building my wife a dirt track style bike out of an old CL360...i hope i am able to part with it when i'm done....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think i might have to recant my statement. i spent a good amount of time studying the ergonomics (via pictures, duh) of 8 of their bikes...and i dont think they're too comfortable for long stretches, and the smallish tank size is impractical. im 5'7" so the fit may be spot-on. the prices, on the other hand....

i would think they're pretty fast though.

good luck on that flattracker. keep us posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in Japan for 3 months last fall. You have to go to the Ueno area near Tokyo. That's where all of the bike shops are. I found this shop called (I think) Corin. It was a 3 or 4-story fully stocked shop with all of the parts you could ever imagine right there on display. I'm sure we can get most of them over here, too, but only by catalog. Not to mention, Ueno has a ton of bike shops.

And, the Honda Collection at Twin Ring Motegi is a must. I have some pictures on my website:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/roblloyd/Motorcycle/Index.htm

Look under "Japan Trip"...

-Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts