Remember that cafe racer web show everyone likes?
Close

This is a discussion on Remember that cafe racer web show everyone likes? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; We're back. and with another episode. I hope this appeases the forum gods as much as it pleases me. I expect your full and vibrant ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

We're back. and with another episode. I hope this appeases the forum gods as much as it pleases me.

I expect your full and vibrant feedback

Portland, Oregon. (But not the hipster douchebag part of town.)
    Sponsored by? Really?.... Silly string.... Alto...Silicon? Silicone?......CLICK.
    [email protected] from the Past

Portland, Oregon. (But not the hipster douchebag part of town.)
    Sponsored by? Really?.... Silly string.... Alto...Silicon? Silicone?......CLICK.
    [email protected] from the Past

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Boring - you talk about a lady selling swords and you didn't film anything with her in it... I could duplicate all your episodes without leaving my driveway. All I need to do is film during different hours of the day and change my neck tats once in a while. Who would know the difference -
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Boring - you talk about a lady selling swords and you didn't film anything with her in it... I could duplicate all your episodes without leaving my driveway. All I need to do is film during different hours of the day and change my neck tats once in a while. Who would know the difference -
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I really want to give you something you can use instead of just telling you you suck (cuz you don't "suck" per se) so here it is:

if your show feels like you could have filmed it anywhere with just a rear projection backdrop changing all the time then you don't really have a show.

I think you need to figure out what you really want it to be, what story you are trying to tell instead of letting the "action" (or lack there of) take you there. I know you keep saying this is reality TV and you want it to be "real" but real is fucking boring. It's like flying - hours of bordem punctuated by moments of sheer terror. If you wait for the moments to sheer terror to present themselves you may be waiting a long time and you may miss it on camera. I am not saying "manufacture" terror or excitement or actually anything watchible in this case, but there are things you can do while on the road. Think of it more as like a travel log for college age kids with no money.

One thing I learned from my road trips when I was younger (early 20s in the mid 1990s - so pre useable internet) is that every town has something interesting, something dangerous, and something locally specific. they all have mcdonalds and burger king too but I don't want to see their parking lots on TV. I also know most public librarys have internet for free and that you aren't just throwing darts at the map - you know where your next three towns are.

So here is my suggestion: for every town you visit you need to find:

- something interesting to visit (snake museum, largest ball of twine, abandoned amusment park, etc...)

- Something dangerous or dangerous looking (sky diving, base jumping, abandoned mine, spitting over the side of a tall damn, etc). You don't actually have to partake in the activity - you can just film people doing it and gab about it.

- Some bit of local culture. this could be the unhealithest sandwich you have ever seen, some really weird dude you have a conversation with (homeless people are the best for this) street musicians (when I was in asheville you could trip over them there were so many).

If you have this base expectation every destination then the boring stuff is watchible again because it gives a break. Add in the silly string and the gas siphoning and now you really have something. Heck you don't have to even use footage of all three from each stop so it is ok if you only get 2 out of three you still have something to work with.

congrats on getting a sponsor.

more adventure, less prone....

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I really want to give you something you can use instead of just telling you you suck (cuz you don't "suck" per se) so here it is:

if your show feels like you could have filmed it anywhere with just a rear projection backdrop changing all the time then you don't really have a show.

I think you need to figure out what you really want it to be, what story you are trying to tell instead of letting the "action" (or lack there of) take you there. I know you keep saying this is reality TV and you want it to be "real" but real is fucking boring. It's like flying - hours of bordem punctuated by moments of sheer terror. If you wait for the moments to sheer terror to present themselves you may be waiting a long time and you may miss it on camera. I am not saying "manufacture" terror or excitement or actually anything watchible in this case, but there are things you can do while on the road. Think of it more as like a travel log for college age kids with no money.

One thing I learned from my road trips when I was younger (early 20s in the mid 1990s - so pre useable internet) is that every town has something interesting, something dangerous, and something locally specific. they all have mcdonalds and burger king too but I don't want to see their parking lots on TV. I also know most public librarys have internet for free and that you aren't just throwing darts at the map - you know where your next three towns are.

So here is my suggestion: for every town you visit you need to find:

- something interesting to visit (snake museum, largest ball of twine, abandoned amusment park, etc...)

- Something dangerous or dangerous looking (sky diving, base jumping, abandoned mine, spitting over the side of a tall damn, etc). You don't actually have to partake in the activity - you can just film people doing it and gab about it.

- Some bit of local culture. this could be the unhealithest sandwich you have ever seen, some really weird dude you have a conversation with (homeless people are the best for this) street musicians (when I was in asheville you could trip over them there were so many).

If you have this base expectation every destination then the boring stuff is watchible again because it gives a break. Add in the silly string and the gas siphoning and now you really have something. Heck you don't have to even use footage of all three from each stop so it is ok if you only get 2 out of three you still have something to work with.

congrats on getting a sponsor.

more adventure, less prone....

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I watched 30 seconds, got bored, clicked ahead a couple of places, was still bored, came back here, typed about being bored. I guess I don't get it or something. If you had put a bike up on the center stand, revved up the rear wheel and jammed in a big salami ....I would have been entertained for a minute.

JohnnyB

I watched 30 seconds, got bored, clicked ahead a couple of places, was still bored, came back here, typed about being bored. I guess I don't get it or something. If you had put a bike up on the center stand, revved up the rear wheel and jammed in a big salami ....I would have been entertained for a minute.

JohnnyB

BTW - don't get us wrong - we really like you guys and I know some of us are driving from the rear seat BUT as one story said "suddenly he felt a cool breeze up his ass-less chaps only to realize he had sweatty balls from his over reeving engine..."
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links