Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is just motor. As long as everything is accounted for, it will run. It looks like it may be 6 to 9 months before I get there. Just glad I have another bike running until then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the reply ts185fan. If I ever do reeds it would be down the road. I have heard of people porting the GTs to match the TR but I am even not sure I want to go down that road. I think for the first trip through the bike it will just be getting it running with the engine rebuild, pipes, pods, coils, electronic ignition and jetting.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I say Piston Port is what makes Suzuki Cool don't mess with Genius is my opinion.
Piston port might have made Suzuki cool, but Rotary valves made them faster as I recall. They put Rotary valves on their 2-stroke motors because they did know about scavenging.

... anybody that can't seal a carburetor intake better stay away from hydraulic repairs.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Hey Trials re: Message 30

Don't be hating and say dumb shit when you are not in the industry .
I never needed to check my ts and that article was talking about all type of leaks not just intake.
If i was some reverse message then I heard it but yes if I don't stick up for myself on this one "Fuck That".
What industry? Motorcycle industry or hydraulic industry, I don't do much of anything else lately.
and what is it I hate, just so I know?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
It's all cool man, reading way more into it then was ever intended (y)

I fought with both recently.
... vacuum leaks and hydraulic leaks that is,

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
2 stroke- as you can see from the 3 above posts this is why you cant have nice things here. if the op was a rubber hole, members in the past would photo bomb etc thier thread. you seem legit with a plan and common sense. why this jack ass has to do this is why many members dont post here anymore. there is 2 gt/t/tr face book pages plus other sites too like the sam racing and cor geraets (?) fb pages.https://www.facebook.com/groups/241276045977902 . Cor Geraets

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I say Fuck that shit just say a prayer for protection before you ride. I do it before I rarely drunk drive my TS to the store and it works every time no headlights and all. Gotta keep the Faith Brother !!!
It was fine when you were posting your gibberish in your own thread, now you you're just a fuck up. Go find something else to do.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It was fine when you were posting your gibberish in your own thread, now you you're just a fuck up. Go find something else to do.
if the op was a ass we would photo bomb pics of tr750's until the op got pissed off and left. ts takes it to another level. wasnt he banned? then came back with the ts username. i think steve had something to do with this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was wondering why I was getting messages totally unrelated to my post. I all most posted something last night about what does this have to do with finding pistons and service. I did not because I am new to the site. I love bikes and working on them. I just want to be able to network with others who feel the same way.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
CruizinImage pistons are fine for the street and prices are great. I have Bill Bune in Anoka MN do all my GT750 cranks. Good prices, great work and fast. No need for Wossners or Wisecos on a simple street bike IMHO.

That bike is interesting in that it appears to have a 74 tank on it and not a 76 tank which was a different shape. I have brought home worse piles of parts than that, but that will be a major project.

I would forget about reed valves. It can be done, but it's a major PIA with a lot of welding and machining. GT750 motors are a really low state of tune, so they are nice to just ride around and have fun on.

Here's my Sunday ride.. http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattrakka2/PTdrag.htm

It's pretty easy to get more power out of a GT750. 80 is easy, but porting them is a PIA. I have done a few of them to different stages of tune and it's easy to forget how much time and work is involved in getting all 3 the same. The simple approach is to raise the barrel by slipping a lift plate (spacer) under the barrels and machine the same amount off the top of the barrels. people will tell you that you cannot run stock CV carbs without a stock airbox, and they are just wrong. I ran mine with velocity stacks, UNI pods, and drag race short intakes and they run just fine with a few jetting changes.

Chambers make the bike run lean, so don't forget to jet up if you use them.

To run on the track, a stock frame is heavy and not very stiff. They can be lightened and stiffened, but a CMR frame is the way to go, but pricing is a way above my pay grade.

For ignition, the simplest is probably Accent from Germany. For head and base gaskets, use COMETIC on a hot motor. Aftermarket head gaskets are all too large and will leak on a high compression motor, but are fine on a street motor.

Have fun with it. I have 4 GT750s in the garage right now. The Phat Trakka, a Dunstall, a radical restomod and a cafe racer which is on teh frame jig and has modern suspension. I have restored a couple and getting all the correct parts is a fun chase around the world, but gets to be very expensive very fast. I prefer non standard bikes and build them for me, so I get to use whatever parts I want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Teaser,

That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. However I have not decided yet about street legal because the pipes I have are the TR style with one going through the frame and I am not sure it can pass inspection in the US. If I am not going to make it street legal which pistons would be better?

Thanks again,
2-Stroke

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
CruizinImage pistons are fine for the street and prices are great. I have Bill Bune in Anoka MN do all my GT750 cranks. Good prices, great work and fast. No need for Wossners or Wisecos on a simple street bike IMHO.

That bike is interesting in that it appears to have a 74 tank on it and not a 76 tank which was a different shape. I have brought home worse piles of parts than that, but that will be a major project.

I would forget about reed valves. It can be done, but it's a major PIA with a lot of welding and machining. GT750 motors are a really low state of tune, so they are nice to just ride around and have fun on.

Here's my Sunday ride.. http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattrakka2/PTdrag.htm

It's pretty easy to get more power out of a GT750. 80 is easy, but porting them is a PIA. I have done a few of them to different stages of tune and it's easy to forget how much time and work is involved in getting all 3 the same. The simple approach is to raise the barrel by slipping a lift plate (spacer) under the barrels and machine the same amount off the top of the barrels. people will tell you that you cannot run stock CV carbs without a stock airbox, and they are just wrong. I ran mine with velocity stacks, UNI pods, and drag race short intakes and they run just fine with a few jetting changes.

Chambers make the bike run lean, so don't forget to jet up if you use them.

To run on the track, a stock frame is heavy and not very stiff. They can be lightened and stiffened, but a CMR frame is the way to go, but pricing is a way above my pay grade.

For ignition, the simplest is probably Accent from Germany. For head and base gaskets, use COMETIC on a hot motor. Aftermarket head gaskets are all too large and will leak on a high compression motor, but are fine on a street motor.

Have fun with it. I have 4 GT750s in the garage right now. The Phat Trakka, a Dunstall, a radical restomod and a cafe racer which is on teh frame jig and has modern suspension. I have restored a couple and getting all the correct parts is a fun chase around the world, but gets to be very expensive very fast. I prefer non standard bikes and build them for me, so I get to use whatever parts I want.
I like the bike and like the changes. I am going to look into the Cometic gaskets.

I am not wanting to put a fortune into it but I think with the pipes, coils, ignition and good tunning on the jets and filters I can get what I am after. Once I have something I can take pictures of besides and empty frame and a split engine I post some pictures.

Thanks,
2-Stroke

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Just an FYI, that software is worth what you pay for it.... Fortunately US rules are pretty loose when it comes to modification - well not so much the actual rules, but enforcement. As long as you have somewhat decent mufflers you can get away with almost anything.

For the street, the brakes need an upgrade and for the track they need a serious upgrade depending on what the race rules allow. Stock disks are incredibly heavy and stock calipers were designed in 1972 or so and things have come a long way since then. Forks are really heavy and not very effective. They can be updated with cartridge emulators, but they still are not very good for the track. Bore the triples out to fit a pair of GS1100E legs or fit later forks. The lightest I have weighed so far are FZR400 which also happen to be long because they fitted clip ons above the triple clamp.

For wheels, the options are endless from stock to rebuilding with alloy rims or go all out and get some DYMAG magnesium rims for about as much as a small car.

At the back end, the rear wheel can be lightened or fit a GS1000 hub with wider rim and have the rear disk.

Or fit a pair of GS aluminum wheels like http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/Dunstall/DSCN9714.JPG

The frame needs to be lightened and braced for the track, but for the street, just clean up surplus brackets and call it good.

Back to those pipes. If you carefully measure all three pipes and send me the dimensions by PM, I can see how well they would work with a spacer (lift plate). The reason I suggest measuring all 3 is that I expect they will all be slightly different, so I'll average them out.

If you want to run it flat out all the time, Wiseco or Wossner would be best, but I ran Crusin pistons in ny drag bike and would not hesitate to use them in any street motor.

No need for Dyna coils. Replace the plug leads and caps and they should be fine. This thing will cost enough, so spend wisely.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts