Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
i'm not sure who, as in person, designed the raptor frame, but it was the same parent company that owned ducati from 85 to 96. so it probably had to be the cagiva monster without actually looking too much like a monster else it be labelled a copy from the people who were responsible for the monster anyway. semantics.

i remember watching some footage the fast bikes guys took in mid 90's sometime at ducati and asking bordi if the rumoured cagiva 4 cyl sportsbike which had been in the pipeline since 94 or so was going to be called an mv. i think the castiglionis had bought the mv name in 93 or so. by the time the engine finally appeared it was well outdated by the new gsxr750 which appeared 6 months later.

the raptor appeared in 2000 i think. never sold well - victim of the name i'd say, like the gran canyon and navigator in that regard. std version demo we had steered a bit funny - you had to power it through a corner. went well with the suzuki engine though. i liked the v-raptor, with the plastic front bits.

when suzuki killed the tl1000s the 1000 version stopped, but they made one with the sv650 engine as well. we had a lot of people want one, but the importer sold a heap (like all they had) to a local council and you simply couldn't get one.

by the time they did get some more maybe 3 years later the bike was fuel injected. but also by then you could go and pay half or less for the hyosung 650. we had a demo 650 raptor that i'm sure was at least 3 years old when the business went broke. couldn't sell it. great bike, just way too expensive. it was good we still had it though - the importer took it back to queensland, pulled the front wheel out, had it painted then sent it back to complete a smash repair for a 1000 raptor - we'd be waiting 11 months for a front wheel. i doubt it ever appeared.

you'd have far better luck chasing bimota parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The designer Miguel Angel Galluzzi made the Ducati Monster when finished he wanted to make a bike a bit wilder, this wasn’t In the Ducati factory planes at that moment, then he designed the Cagiva Raptor 1000 using the engine from a Suzuki TL1000, At that time MV Augusta was part of Cagiva so they asked them to produce the chassis.
Etc...
The first monster had just 80cv and the Raptor +116cv at the rear wheel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi S
hi can you explane how you fit the rvs swingarm in it

tnq
Hi Stefan
The RSV/Tuono swing arms is very close to a plug and play solution, The axels has some bore diameter.
You just has to remove some mm of material at the swing-arm mounting as this is a little bit wider the the chassis.
Yo need to machine the swingarm suspension linkage fitment to line up this with the bike.
Everything is easy making at home with standard tools or a local workshop

You can have a look in this German link, as he explains well what to do

Cheers
Jan

21 - 29 of 29 Posts