Cafe Racer Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Thanks a lot, Chuck.

To clarify, though. I was looking hard into the twin pot upgrade, but at the time saltymonk didn't have any brackets and spacers ready, and in my search for the calipers, I found the 82 front end. It was more economical and with the braided lines, the thing stops really well. Also, the shocks are 340mm, and I actually have the lower clevis about 4- 5mm out, so the eye to eye is set at 345 mm. I played with rear and front ride heights quite a bit to get the feel that I liked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ahhhh... good deal then! A lot of GS guys say 1" longer rear shocks really help improve the steering response, which is almost exactly what you have now!

I raised the rear 10mm, including shocks with better springs that sag a lot less, dropped the front slightly (15mm?) with gs650 dual disk forks, and dropped tire diameter down to a wider 18 inch front tire. 140 - 70 - 18 rear tire. My gs750 snaps into the tightest of corners very quickly now, & I surprise most people riding with me (even my buddies on Ninja's) at how well it corners as they get a view of my tail light disappearing into the twisties in the distance. it's 50 pounds lighter than stock and everything is modified on the bike however. much wider rims to match those tires as well. cartridge emulators and piggyback shocks. looks like a dream, handles like a dream for a vintage bike.

Great looking build again 8ball, good job man, very glad to see GS's built like this, especially compared to the typical chop and hack and learn how to weld cosmetic Cafe Racer conversions that pretty much ruin bikes. most GS Cafe themed builds that I see around here are just like the latter that I described unfortunately.

·
Registered
430 Posts
How do you like the throttle mod so far?

I'll also add that this thread should be a must read for new guys. All substance, no fluff. It's even got an Ichiban Moto endorsement.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #104

I'll also add that this thread should be a must read for new guys. All substance, no fluff. It's even got an Ichiban Moto endorsement.
I only got to ride with it once before the Evil Ol' Man started dropping that cold stuff.... but, it did seem to have a better feel. I will probably take it apart after a few more rides, and glue the piece on to make it permanent.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'll have to pull my Emgo dual throttle apart and see if this is possible. It's not terrible, but I feel a good half inch less of a turn would make things smoother.

·
Registered
506 Posts

I agree, I admit I haven't done a ton of reading on this site, I read picture books growing up, but I did go through this and I like where it's going

Any new progress or pics of the ride?
I also need to do something about my gauges and like what you did to yours..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I just spent 2 DAYS rebuilding this thread now that BotoPhucket disabled 3rd party linking. It seems they have also disabled the "Download Album" tool on their site, so you have to "right-click, save as" each photo individually! I have over 300 photos in this thread alone!!! Thankfully, this forum allows attaching photos inline.

Now I can proceed with the updates, that I will have ready in the next few days.....installing a Chinesium gauge cluster.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I just spent 2 DAYS rebuilding this thread now that BotoPhucket disabled 3rd party linking. It seems they have also disabled the "Download Album" tool on their site, so you have to "right-click, save as" each photo individually! I have over 300 photos in this thread alone!!! Thankfully, this forum allows attaching photos inline.

Now I can proceed with the updates, that I will have ready in the next few days.....installing a Chinesium gauge cluster.
Thanks for the effort! I saw one poster in a Facebook group comment that he thought the Photobucket fiasco would finally be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of web forums. I kinda like our little crew here and hope you guys continue to advise me on my never-ending project, which means this forum needs to last another projected 4-6 years.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
i.imgur.com

you can't beat it.
You couldn't beat Photobucket, either.....until they did this crap. I have a Flickr account and I can use that, but I'm hesitant because I don't want to end up in this same situation if they decide to do something similar.

actually, I am leary about imgur because many times I have followed links there, my virus detector sends up warning flags. So now if I see a photo link that is to imgur, I'll just avoid it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
So, my original speedo took a crap the last time out. The needle broke in half and the stub just started pointing at whatever the heck it wanted to.
236.jpg

I thought about getting a nice Kosco one or similar, but at around $300 for the ones I would want, it just didn't make sense. All I need is a somewhat accurate tach and a speed signal. I found this universal gauge on Amazon for around $30.
235 (2).jpg

It comes with the speed pickup and magnets to be mounted on the wheels. The connectors are OEM style, but only come with the male plugs. I bought connectors from Cycle Terminal and ordered a Molex style crimper from Amazon to make the correct crimps on the pins. (More on that later when I get to the wiring).

First order is to get the brackets made. I started with a piece of cardboard and some 16 gauge steel sheet metal for the gauge mount:
244.jpg
Mock it up and get my correct shape:
245.jpg
246.jpg
Then I start cutting with tin snips, a cut off wheel and a dremmel to get it where I need it. Drilled the bolt holes, then used my bench grinder and wire wheel to buff smooth the edges:
247.jpg 248.jpg 249.jpg
And here it is...
250.jpg 251.jpg

Painted black and on the bike:
265.jpg 266.jpg

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Next Was to mount the magnets to the wheels somewhere. I chose to use the rotor bolts, and fabricate brackets that went between two rotor bolts. I used the same method as before using a cardboard template, only I used thinner 18 gauge sheet metal for these. I had the old single rotor that was originally on this bike as a mock up.
252.jpg 253.jpg 254.jpg 255.jpg
Actually mounted on the wheel. (They need just a little more trimming so the lock tabs would still lock on the bolt heads)
261.jpg 262.jpg

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
The most complicated bracket was the speed sensor bracket.

I bent and attached the upper part of the bracket to the caliper bolt:
256.jpg

Marked the shape and location for the lower part of the bracket where it will go around the axle/speedo drive spacer:
258.jpg

Rough cut:
View attachment 71761

Located the hole for the sensor and painted it:
260.jpg
263.jpg

Mounted up:
264.jpg

I am in the process of wiring it up. It would be much faster, but I like to try to make things as OEM looking as possible..... No butt splices for me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Good for you for making it work.

Mine never worked that good.
Yeah well....we'll see how well it works. I haven't finished the wiring, yet. From what I can tell, the most troublesome issue is the tach signal. Hooking it up to the coils seems to be too much for it, according to my research. I may try experimenting with connections at the Dyna Ignition, but more than likely, I will use an inductive loop around a spark plug wire, and heat shrink it to the plug wire. As I said, we'll see....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
No. Mine says DSP SYS.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Having trouble with the tach signal, at this point. It is designed to connect to a pulse generator signal to an ECU, not a points type ignition system. And to make matters worse, I have a DynaS system on mine, so I am working through that. This may take a bit.....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Having trouble with the tach signal, at this point. It is designed to connect to a pulse generator signal to an ECU, not a points type ignition system. And to make matters worse, I have a DynaS system on mine, so I am working through that. This may take a bit.....
Did you ever get the tach working for this unit?

101 - 120 of 142 Posts